A partially built flyover yesterday collapsed in India’s eastern city of Kolkata, killing at least one person and injuring scores, with many more feared trapped under mounds of debris, an official and a lawmaker said.
Police and passersby were using their hands to try to move giant slabs of concrete and metal to reach those trapped, after the bridge collapsed at about lunchtime on a busy road, television footage showed.
“One person is confirmed dead. Sixty-two people who were trapped under the debris have been shifted to hospital, some of them are critical,” Indian National Disaster Management Authority spokesman Anurag Gupta said.
Gupta said it was unclear how many people were still trapped under the debris, but said “pedestrians as well as vehicles came under the falling flyover.”
Specialist rescue teams armed with concrete cutters, drilling machines, sensors to detect life and sniffer dogs were being rushed to the scene, Gupta added.
Television footage showed one bloodied body trapped under a concrete slab, and also the hand of a person sticking out from under twisted debris.
“Monumental tragedy. Rescue ops on. Many feared dead,” Trinamool Congress Party spokesman Derek O’Brien posted on his Twitter account.
Indian Home Minister Rajnath Singh said he was monitoring the situation, adding that he was “deeply saddened to know that precious lives have been lost in the Kolkata accident.”
An eyewitness at the scene described a loud bang “like a bomb blast and suddenly there was a lot of smoke and dust.”
“I looked at the other side of the road and people were screaming ‘the bridge is collapsing’,” the unnamed man told television networks.
The Press Trust of India news agency, citing police, said one person was dead with an unknown number of others trapped.
Kolkata is to host the World Twenty20 cricket final on Sunday.
The accident is the latest in a string of deadly construction collapses in India, some of which have highlighted shoddy building standards.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of
The Philippine army chief yesterday expressed outrage over the fatal police shooting of four soldiers, including two officers, and demanded justice, as both sides provided contrasting accounts of the killings. Philippine Secretary of the Interior and Local Government Eduardo Ano, a retired military chief of staff who now oversees the national police, ordered that the police involved in Monday’s violence in Jolo in Sulu Province be disarmed and restricted for investigation. Police said the soldiers were killed in a “misencounter” with a group of police officers. The army said that the two officers and two enlisted men were on a mission against