South Korea yesterday sent the remains of dozens of Chinese soldiers killed during the 1950-1953 Korean War back to China for a final burial in their homeland.
Coffins carrying the remains of 36 soldiers — excavated by South Korea’s Ministry of Defense from March to November last year — were flown from the Incheon International Airport to the northeastern city of Shenyang, where China has a state cemetery for its war dead.
In a separate ceremony on Monday, the remains, including bone fragments and skulls, had been placed in the coffins at a temporary mortuary in Paju, near the border with North Korea.
In 2013, South Korean President Park Geun-hye offered to return the bodies of the Chinese war dead as a goodwill gesture during a visit to Beijing.
Since then, Seoul has repatriated a total of 505 sets of remains, flying them back every year ahead of the annual tomb-sweeping festival, when many people visit and clean the graves of their ancestors.
This year’s festival falls on Monday.
China fought alongside North Korea in the 1950-1953 conflict — its dramatic and crucial intervention coming after US-led forces had pushed the North Korean army into the far north of the peninsula.
Casualty figures remain disputed, but Western estimates commonly cite a figure of 400,000 Chinese deaths, while Chinese sources mention a toll of about 180,000.
The bodies were initially buried in small plots around the country.
In 1996, Seoul designated a special cemetery plot in Paju, just south of the heavily fortified border with North Korea, where all the remains of Chinese and North Korean soldiers still on South Korean soil could be buried together.
More than 700 North Korean soldiers are interred at Paju, but Pyongyang has ignored Seoul’s offer to return them.
The site also holds the bodies of more than two dozen North Korean commandos killed in a 1968 attack on the presidential palace in Seoul.
A North Korean agent responsible for the 1987 bombing of a South Korean airliner that killed 115 people, who committed suicide after he was captured, is also there.
Henry Tong (湯偉雄) and Elaine To (杜依蘭) were preparing to spend their first wedding anniversary in separate prison cells until their acquittal for rioting during Hong Kong’s pro-democracy protests. There were gasps and tears of relief in court on Friday last week as a judge declared prosecutors had failed to prove that the couple took part in clashes with police in July last year. The pair walked free in a ruling that has potential consequences for hundreds of other protesters facing similar charges. However, they have a long journey ahead as they try to rebuild their lives and business. “We have already been punished,”
WARNINGS OVER COMPLACENCY: The curves of new infections in numerous countries is climbing, while others see the the first new infections in months Spikes in COVID-19 infections in Asia have dispelled any notion that the region might be over the worst, with Australia and India yesterday reporting record daily infections, Vietnam fretting over a new surge and North Korea urging vigilance. Asian nations had largely prided themselves on rapidly containing initial outbreaks after the coronavirus emerged in central China late last year, but flare-ups this month have shown the danger of complacency. “We’ve got to be careful not to slip into some idea that there’s some golden immunity that Australia has in relation to this virus,” Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison told reporters. Australia recorded its
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
The Australian government yesterday said that it plans to give Google and Facebook three months to negotiate with media businesses fair pay for news content. In releasing a draft of a mandatory code of conduct, Canberra aims to succeed where other nations have failed in making tech firms pay for news siphoned from commercial media companies. Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said that Google and Facebook would be the first platforms targeted by the proposed legislation, but others could follow. “It’s about a fair go for Australian news media businesses, it’s about ensuring that we have increased competition, increased consumer protection and a sustainable