The son of an Indian murder victim has confessed to stabbing his father’s killer to death and chopping his body into 12 pieces, one for every year since his father was slain, media reported yesterday.
Alam Khan was aged 12 when he saw his father being murdered by a family friend in 2003. He had secretly planned his revenge ever since and finally seized his chance last week when he invited the killer to his house for a drink.
After getting Mohammad Rais drunk at his home in the state of Uttar Pradesh, Khan knifed him to death before using a hammer and hacksaw to dismember the body, he told reporters on Monday after his arrest.
He and an accomplice then packed the body parts into plastic bags, which they threw into a river. When the bags washed up on the river’s banks, police were only able to identify Rais from a surgery scar on his torso.
Khan was arrested after witnesses recounted how Rais had last been seen visiting his home, and made a full confession.
“I played some music at full volume and cut his body into 12 pieces,” Khan was quoted as saying by the Times of India.
Khan had never told anyone about the identity of his father’s killer and had instead waited for 12 years to “realize his dream” of taking revenge.
He said that he was “happy it was now done.”
The murder weapons, including the hammer and hacksaw, had been recovered from Khan’s home in the district of Moradabad, Yadav added.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses