Rescuers searching a Chinese industrial park swamped by a landslide recovered the first body yesterday, as anger mounted over safety failings that led to a disaster feared to have killed dozens.
It is the latest in a series of fatal accidents in China and comes months after almost 200 people died in a massive chemical blast in the port city of Tianjin.
Hopes for those still missing in the mud were fading yesterday, even as heavy machinery raked through thousands of tonnes of soil and rubble that buried factories and residential buildings.
There were still 81 people unaccounted for at the landslide site in Shenzhen, state broadcaster CCTV reported. The body recovered yesterday morning was the first confirmed death.
The mudslide was caused by the improper storage of waste soil from construction sites, according to the Chinese Ministry of Land and Resources’ official newspaper.
Soil was illegally stored in heaps 100m high at an old quarry site and turned to mud during rain on Sunday morning, the state-run Global Times said.
Commenters on China’s popular Weibo microgblogging site voiced fury over the apparent failings.
“The lack of safety supervision and passive attitude in taking precautions has caused the whole nation to shake with anger and shocked the world!” user Xizidan wrote in a post that was taken down by authorities, but found on the censorship tracking Web site Weiboscope.
The post said people were angry over accidents, including the blasts at Tianjin in August, the sinking of a ferry on the Yangtze River in June that killed more than 400, and a stampede in Shanghai on New Year’s Eve last year that left more than 30 dead.
“Through man-made disasters, we’re continually using other people’s lives to achieve progress in society,” another post said, echoing a common complaint that China’s rapid economic growth has been achieved at the expense of many of its people.
The Shenzhen dumping site had been operating for two years, according to locals interviewed by China National Radio. During that time, villagers repeatedly complained to the government about round-the-clock noise and traffic congestion, but never received a response, according to a separate report by portal Shenzhen News.
Back at the disaster zone, volunteers hoping to help search for bodies said chances were slim for survivors.
“I do not think there is a chance [to save anybody], because it has been some time, and it is dirt and sand,” a woman named Qin said.
Emergency workers were yesterday using backhoes in an effort to clear the mud. Many had spent the night on the site.
People who saw the landslide described “huge waves” of red earth and mud racing toward the industrial park, burying or crushing homes and factories.
Drone footage showed how the mud had swept through and over buildings and tossed aside trucks like toys.
“We are worried for the people that live nearby,” said a woman from a neighboring village, who did not identify herself.
About 900 people were moved out of harm’s way before the landslide struck. Four people have been rescued, of whom three had minor injuries.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of
The Philippine army chief yesterday expressed outrage over the fatal police shooting of four soldiers, including two officers, and demanded justice, as both sides provided contrasting accounts of the killings. Philippine Secretary of the Interior and Local Government Eduardo Ano, a retired military chief of staff who now oversees the national police, ordered that the police involved in Monday’s violence in Jolo in Sulu Province be disarmed and restricted for investigation. Police said the soldiers were killed in a “misencounter” with a group of police officers. The army said that the two officers and two enlisted men were on a mission against