The 28 people missing since the failure of two dams at an iron ore mine flooded a village in southeastern Brazil are unlikely to be found alive, the governor of the affected state said on Sunday.
Speaking at a news conference, Minas Gerais Governor Fernando Pimentel said it was still not known what triggered Thursday’s failure of dams at the Samarco mine, which sent viscous red mud, water and debris flooding into the hamlet of Bento Rodrigues, flattening all but a handful of buildings.
The mud tide has continued to spread, causing flooding in other nearby towns, pouring into an area river and threatening the water supply of several cities in the neighboring state of Espirito Santo.
“One lost human life would be irreparable — imagine 28,” Pimentel was quoted as saying by the Rio de Janeiro newspaper O Globo. “It’s a disaster, a tragedy of great dimension.”
One person has been confirmed dead and 15 village residents and 13 mine workers are listed as missing, the governor and the state fire department said on Sunday.
The number of missing has been in flux in recent days, with local officials saying pockets of survivors might still be holed up in isolated areas.
Authorities on Saturday said that 19 people were missing, a few hours after reporting 23 people unaccounted for. The state fire department said on Twitter that two additional bodies had been found and sent to the coroner’s office for identification. The message cautioned that “it has not been confirmed they are victims of the disaster.”
In a later tweet, the fire department said a third body was located in the area on Sunday and workers were working to remove it from the mud.
Helicopter searches for survivors resumed on Sunday morning despite rainy conditions that have hampered rescue efforts.
Emergency response officials have said the volatility of the mud, which is still wet and can act like quicksand, can put rescue workers at risk.
A team of veterinarians was rescuing animals left behind in the tragedy, the governor said.
Pimentel said that Samarco, which is jointly owned by the Brazilian mining company Vale and Australia’s BHP Billiton, has provided machines to help in the search efforts and is paying to house people whose homes were destroyed in the accident.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
A squad of gun-toting police officers patrolled Myanmar’s sacred site of Bagan under the cover of night, taking on plunderers snatching relics from temples forsaken by tourists due to COVID-19 restrictions. Each evening as dusk falls, about 100 officers fan out across the plain of Bagan covering 50km2, sweeping flashlights over the crumbling monuments to scour for intruders. “Our security forces are patrolling day and night,” Police Lieutenant Colonel Sein Win told reporters. “We have it under control for the moment, but it’s a challenge.” The central Burmese city is strewn with more than 3,500 ancient monuments — stupas, temples, murals and sculptures