A convicted murderer who escaped from an Ohio prison in 1978 by cutting through cell bars and a fence was captured in Minnesota’s capital, where he had a job delivering newspapers, the US Marshals Service said on Friday.
Oscar Juarez, 66, was among Ohio’s most-wanted fugitives and evaded being caught while on the run, despite being arrested but let go at least seven times in the 1980s.
He was taken into custody on Thursday night in St Paul, Minnesota, at an apartment building on a tree-lined street, US marshal for northern Ohio Pete Elliott said.
It was not clear how long he had been in Minnesota.
He was living alone in St Paul under a different name, said Chris Clifford, the supervisory deputy US marshal in Minneapolis.
Juarez told authorities he had been living in Minnesota for 20 years, but “we are finding that hard to believe,” Clifford said.
Juarez made an initial appearance before a US magistrate in St Paul on Friday.
He is to be held until a hearing next week to determine his identity and argue detention.
He gave the magistrate a different name when he was asked if he understood his rights, but Elliott said there was no doubt it was Juarez, saying htat his fingerprints were a match and the name he gave was that of a deceased person.
Juarez was arrested at least six times on minor charges in California and once in 1988 in Texas, but he went undetected because he was using fake identities, Elliott said.
“We know he was in several different states over the years,” Elliott said. “It wasn’t one thing that led us to his doorstep. It was a number of things and good old-fashioned police work.”
He apparently worked as a welder and machine operator, the FBI said in a most wanted advisory.
It appears that Juarez had family in Texas and Ohio and may have picked Minnesota at random, Clifford said.
Juarez was serving a life sentence for fatally shooting a Toledo man after a bar fight in 1975.
He escaped from a state prison in Marion three years later by sawing through prison bars and cutting through a fence, the marshals said.
They said he also put a dummy in his bed and covered it with blankets.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses