Hong Kong’s frills-free street food vendors have made it to this year’s Michelin Guide for the first time, officials of the celebrated culinary guide said on Thursday, as it released its recommendations for the southern Chinese territory.
A new category was created this year as a “bustling” local food scene offers better culinary value, Michelin said.
“We have included street food for the first time to reflect the local culinary scene. Street food is part of the local way of life, part of everyday life,” said Michael Ellis, international director of the Michelin Guide.
From egg waffles and ginger sweet soup to pork buns and tofu puddings, many of the featured items were previously sold by hawkers on food trolleys.
“Many now have fixed addresses... [and] we are able to include them in our guide,” Ellis said.
Twenty-three restaurants in Hong Kong were added this year, while 12 new entrants from neighboring Macau were also covered by the guide.
It is the Michelin Guide’s eighth edition of reviews for the two territories, home to thousands of restaurants, with 77 awarded the prestigious star ratings.
Among them, eight were granted the top three-star ratings, while 18 were given two stars and 51 restaurants got one-star ratings.
Cantonese restaurant T’ang Court was newly anointed with three stars, while Cantonese restaurants Forum and Ming Court in Hong Kong, and the Jade Dragon and French restaurant The Tasting Room in Macau got two stars.
The guide grants one star for “a very good restaurant in its category,” two for “excellent cooking, worth a detour,” and the top three stars for “exceptional cuisine, worth a special journey.”
The Michelin Guide has for more than a century recommended restaurants throughout Europe and now covers nations across three continents, but it is not without its critics, who question whether the food quality of Hong Kong’s cheaper restaurants can compare to ones in Europe considering the price difference.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting