Thu, Nov 05, 2015 - Page 6 News List

Philippine militants demanding millions for foreign hostages

AFP, MANILA

Philippine militants are demanding 1 billion pesos (US$21 million) each for the release of two Canadians and a Norwegian kidnapped six weeks ago, a new video of the captives showed.

In the video released by the US-based monitor SITE on Tuesday, the masked captors identified themselves as members of the Abu Sayyaf, a US-listed terrorist group notorious for kidnappings and deadly bomb attacks.

Canadian tourists John Ridsdel and Robert Hall, Norwegian resort manager Kjartan Sekkingstad and Filipina Marites Flor were seized from yachts at a marina on Samal Island on Sept. 21.

Philippine authorities have said they do not know where the hostages are being held, but security analysts say they are likely on Jolo island, the Abu Sayyaf’s stronghold about 1,000km south of Manila.

VIDEO

In the SITE video, the three foreigners all said they were being ransomed off for 1 billion pesos each. They were speaking in a jungle setting, surrounded by heavily armed men.

Flor, who is Hall’s girlfriend, did not speak.

Founded in the early 1990s with seed money from al-Qaeda, the Abu Sayyaf gained international notoriety for kidnapping dozens of foreign tourists for ransom in the early 2000s.

The group has also been blamed for the nation’s worst terrorist attacks, including the bombing of a ferry off Manila Bay in 2004 that killed more than 100 people.

LAWLESS SOUTH

It is believed to have just a few hundred gunmen, but thrives in lawless sections of the southern Philippines where rebels have for decades fought for independence or autonomy.

The Abu Sayyaf is known to be holding three other foreigners — two Malaysians and a Dutch man, the military said.

An Italian former priest, Rolando del Torchio, was also abducted from his pizza restaurant in the southern port city of Dipolog last month. The Abu Sayyaf is widely believed to be holding him, but authorities have not confirmed this.

A 74-year-old South Korean kidnapped in January was found dead on Jolo over the weekend. The military said the Abu Sayyaf abandoned the hostage after he died from a “severe illness.”

Philippine military spokesman Colonel Restituto Padilla declined to comment yesterday about the new video.

The Philippine government has repeatedly said it has a “no-ransom policy,” but parties linked to captives frequently pay.

In October last year, the Abu Sayyaf said it received 250 million pesos (US$5.3 million) in exchange for two German hostages held captive for six months. Security analysts said a large ransom was paid.

This story has been viewed 1802 times.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top