New York marks a milestone in the fight for equality today, when 1.1 million children in the US’ largest school district takes the day off to mark Eid al-Adha.
It is a small, but hard-won victory at a time when US Muslims complain of growing Islamophobia and worsening anti-Muslim rhetoric following the 9/11 attacks in 2001.
For the first time, more than 1,800 public schools in New York are closed today for the Muslim feast of sacrifice, a day after also closing for Yom Kippur, the holiest day in the Jewish calendar.
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio unveiled the new policy in March, announcing that New York public schools would get two days off for Eid al-Fitr, which falls during the summer, and Eid al-Adha, in addition to major Christian and Jewish holidays.
Since then, city hall has added a further day off — Feb. 8 next year — for Lunar New Year, celebrated by many Asian Americans.
“It is a huge victory to actually see the day come,” said Linda Sarsour, a member of the Coalition for Muslim School Holidays and a New York activist with three children.
“As an imam as well as a parent, I am very happy,” said Imam Shamsi Ali, director of the Jamaica Muslim Center in Queens.
“I’m sure this kind of policy from the government side will push Muslims further to feel a sense of belonging,” he said.
Muslim New York parents previously faced a quandary: keep their children at home to observe the holiday and skip class, or send them to school and let celebrations fall by the wayside.
There are an estimated 7 million to 10 million Muslims in the US, of whom a million are believed to live in New York — about 10 percent of the city’s population.
New York follows at least seven other school districts that close for Eid in New Jersey, Massachusetts and Vermont, but activists are still campaigning in other parts of the country.
Activists hope that embracing Eid in the school calendar will make Islam more mainstream and counter Islamophobia.
“It’s a very tense time,” Sarsour said. “No one can talk about Islam without talking about terrorism.”
In the past two weeks alone, a Sikh American was so viciously beaten in Chicago and called a “terrorist” because of his dark skin, beard and turban that he wound up in the hospital.
In Detroit, a mosque was refused planning permission and in Texas, a 14-year-old Muslim teenager who is the son of Sudanese immigrants was arrested for building a clock that teachers thought was a bomb.
At the weekend, Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson, a black American retired neurosurgeon, said a Muslim should not be president of the US.
Another Republican candidate, Donald Trump, was roundly condemned for not challenging a town hall questioner who said US President Barack Obama was a foreign-born Muslim.
Then there are daily headlines about extremists in Syria, arrests of US sympathizers and Islamist terrorism that many say feeds paranoia about Muslims in the US.
Ibrahim Hooper, spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), the nation’s largest Muslim civil liberties organization, agreed that the holiday comes at the right time.
“Amidst a spike in anti-Muslim sentiment and anti-Muslim rhetoric in our society as we see with Trump, Ben Carson, and the arrest of a Muslim teenager, which sends a negative message, this sends a very positive message of inclusion,” he said.
However, if New York sets a precedent, it is still an uphill struggle.
“It was fabulous, oh my gosh,” said activist Zainab Chaudry, who was disappointed when Montgomery County in Maryland refused to make Eid a day off and removed all religious references to pre-existing Christian and Jewish holidays.
“It came as a shock to us. It was not what we were asking for,” said Chaudry, co-chair of the group Equality for Eid, a position she shares with a Jewish council member.
Sadyia Khalique, director of operations for CAIR in New York, said there is “a huge problem” with Islamophobia in the US, but that the holiday could help change that.
“We’ve never had accommodation in the way we do now, recognition of our religion and also to celebrate it,” she said.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘SUICIDE’: Media reports said Park Won-soon went missing on Thursday after a staff member filed a sexual harassment claim against him this week Seoul mayor Park Won-soon, viewed as a potential candidate for the 2022 presidential election, was found dead of an apparent suicide hours after he was reported missing, police said, adding that he was the subject of an undisclosed investigation. In a note he is thought to have left behind on his desk, Park offered his apologies. “I thank everyone who was with me in my life. I apologize to my family for only making them suffer from pain,” according to the note that was released by his office yesterday. Park, in his letter, asked to be cremated and have his remains spread
RISKY BUSINESS: The Chinese firm has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of 5G equipment not covered by US sanctions, but fears a wider ban could be announced in the UK Huawei Technologies Co believes it can supply 5G hardware unaffected by US sanctions to the UK for the next five years, sidestepping the expected conclusion of British emergency review on Tuesday. The company has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of kit, but fears a wider ban on its equipment is to be unveiled to placate rebel British Conservative Party lawmakers, who say that the Chinese supplier represents a national security risk. The British government on Friday said that it was “very likely” that British Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Oliver Dowden would make a statement to parliament on Tuesday