EU leaders were yesterday holding an emergency summit on boosting aid and tightening borders to tackle the migration crisis, but a growing east-west split over a deal to relocate 120,000 refugees threatens to poison the talks.
Hours before the meeting, Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban rejected German Chancellor Angela Merkel’s “moral imperialism” over the worst such crisis since World War II, while Slovakia said it would dispute the refugee quota deal in court.
Despite Croatia reporting a record number of arrivals and countries across the region feeling the strain from refugees from war zones like Syria, EU leaders appeared as divided as ever.
Hungary, the Czech Republic, Romania and Slovakia voted against the relocation plan, saying the EU has no right to override national sovereignty and make them accept people from frontline states.
“The most important thing is that there should be no moral imperialism,” Hungary’s hardline leader said during a visit to the southern German state of Bavaria when asked what he expected from Merkel.
European Council President Donald Tusk hopes to move on from the 120,000 refugee relocations, which is just a fraction of the 500,000 migrants who have come to Europe’s shores and the estimated 4 million on Syria’s borders.
In response to the spiraling crisis, at the summit Tusk was to ask leaders to address issues including strengthening the union’s external borders, amid concerns the EU’s internal passport-free zone is under threat.
Greece was expected to come under particular pressure to accept EU help to strengthen its borders.
Tusk, a former Polish prime minister, was reportedly also pressing EU leaders to offer more aid to affected countries outside the bloc, including the Western Balkans, Turkey, Jordan and Lebanon, as well as to the UN World Food Programme.
Ahead of the meeting, the European Commission, the executive arm of the 28-nation bloc, proposed an extra 1.7 billion euros (US$1.9 billion) in funds.
Orban has proposed a 3 billion euro fund for dealing with the crisis, but it was not clear whether the leaders would discuss that.
With tensions brewing, EU Migration Commissioner Dimitris Avramopoulos yesterday rejected any suggestion that the rare failure to reach a unanimous agreement on the plan did more harm than good.
“On the contrary, it is a victory for the EU and for all member states,” Avramopoulos said.
Yet Slovakian Prime Minister Robert Fico, whose country would be made to take 800 migrants under the plan, said he was prepared to break the EU’s rules rather than accept the “diktat” from Brussels.
In a sign of the problems within the union, the European Commission said it had issued formal warnings to 19 EU states, including Germany, for breaching rules on the treatment of asylum seekers.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of
The Philippine army chief yesterday expressed outrage over the fatal police shooting of four soldiers, including two officers, and demanded justice, as both sides provided contrasting accounts of the killings. Philippine Secretary of the Interior and Local Government Eduardo Ano, a retired military chief of staff who now oversees the national police, ordered that the police involved in Monday’s violence in Jolo in Sulu Province be disarmed and restricted for investigation. Police said the soldiers were killed in a “misencounter” with a group of police officers. The army said that the two officers and two enlisted men were on a mission against