Sat, Aug 15, 2015 - Page 7 News List

Obama’s Guantanamo resolve tested

Reuters, WASHINGTON

Before midnight last night, the US Department of Justice was due to either block or accept a legal request to free a Guantanamo Bay prisoner who weighs 33.5kg after an eight-year hunger strike.

Lawyers for the detainee, Tariq Ba Odah, said the way the department decides will be the clearest indication yet of how serious US President Barack Obama is about closing the detention center before he leaves office in January 2017.

They accuse the president of being unwilling to use all his executive powers to empty the camp and are skeptical of his commitment.

“There is this profound dissonance between what the administration is saying about its desire to close Guantanamo and what is it actually doing,” said Omar Farah, the detainee’s lawyer. “And it’s the administration’s actions that actually count.”

The 36-year-old Yemeni detainee has been force-fed by nasal tube since he stopped eating solid food in 2007.

His weight loss over the past 18 months has raised fears among his lawyers that he could die of starvation. Pentagon officials said he is receiving proper care.

US intelligence and military officials cleared him for release five years ago from the Guantanamo detention center, where 116 men are imprisoned on a US Navy base 14 years after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the US.

Officials from the US Department of Defense, which administers the center, are calling on government lawyers to oppose a habeas corpus petition Ba Odah’s lawyers filed in June requesting his release on health grounds.

Pentagon officials say transferring him could create an incentive for future hunger strikes, according to senior US officials.

The US Department of State supports his release.

Lawyers for Ba Odah, who was captured by the Pakistani Army along the Afghan border and was accused of receiving weapons training to fight with the Taliban, say Obama could instruct government lawyers not to oppose the habeas petition yesterday. There are as many as a half dozen other habeas petitions that the government could choose not to contest, they said.

In December 2013, the Justice Department stood on the sidelines when a habeas corpus petition for an ill Sudanese prisoner at Guantanamo was filed, clearing the way for a judge to order his release.

Yesterday’s court filing is expected to show whether the White House, which has promised to send US Congress a plan shortly to close the internationally condemned facility completely, will side with the Pentagon or the State Department in the dispute.

Lawyers for detainees and legal experts say the case is one of several examples of the president not using executive powers that could speed the transfer of 52 men cleared for release.

US government officials last week said that a dozen foreign countries have agreed to accept nearly half of the men.

“I think the president is not doing anywhere near what he could be doing at this point,” said David Glazier, a professor at Loyola Law School in Los Angeles who follows Guantanamo cases.

A senior administration official dismissed the criticism, saying the president’s “entire national security team is working together to fulfill the president’s steadfast commitment to closing the Guantanamo detention facility.”

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top