Sun, Aug 09, 2015 - Page 5 News List

Foreigners freed in Mali hotel siege

STANDOFF CONTINUES:Days after an attack that killed 11 Malian soldiers, a hotel used by troops and foreigners was stormed by an unknown militant group, killing seven

AFP, BAMAKO, MALI

Malian President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita, right, reviews troops in Kati near Bamako on Aug. 6, after visiting soldiers injured in an attack on their camp in northern Mali on Aug. 3.

Photo:AFP

Five foreigners have been evacuated and a number of hostages freed after they were trapped by militants in a hotel standoff with soldiers in central Mali that left at least seven people dead, military sources said yesterday.

“We cannot say that everything is finished, but a number of hostages were freed by Malian forces deployed around the Hotel Byblos in Sevare,” a source said.

Another military source said Malian special forces had rescued the hostages, including five foreigners “who were evacuated to Bamako.”

The source was unable to specify the foreigners’ nationalities.

The attackers had stormed the hotel, frequented by foreign visitors and troops, at about 7am on Friday, according to the government.

Malian forces cordoned off the area, but their efforts against the militants were made “sensitive” by the presence of hostages, a military source said.

It was not clear how many people were still being held by the attackers.

Members of the UN Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali (MINUSMA) were also staying in the hotel, the government said.

The government statement on Friday evening gave a provisional toll of five dead and two injured on the Malian army side and two killed on the insurgent side.

Seven suspects had been detained, it added.

MINUSMA said a member of its associate international staff was killed in the “terrorist attack,” without giving the victim’s nationality.

It was not clear if that death was included in the government toll.

The UN mission said it had sent a Malian rapid response team from the capital, Bamako — 620km to the south — and “reinforced the security of Sevare-Mopti airport.”

It said the initial target of the attack was a Malian military site.

“The attackers, who were repulsed by the Malian forces, then holed up in a hotel,” a MINUSMA statement said.

“The clashes between the attackers and Malian security forces continued throughout the morning and sporadic fire continues at the hotel and in the neighborhood,” the statement added.

A military source had earlier said at least eight people had been killed with three bodies lying in front of the hotel next to a burned-out minibus.

One of the attackers was wearing an explosives belt, the source said.

It is unclear who the foreigners who were being held are, though the governments of Russia and Ukraine confirmed earlier they each had a national among the hostages.

A spokesman for the Russian embassy in Mali told RIA Novosti state news agency that the Russian hostage was an employee of UTAir, an aviation company which works with the UN peacekeeping mission.

A Ukrainian hostage managed to escape from the four or five militants who were still barricaded inside the hotel, telling soldiers that he had been with three South Africans and a Russian when the shooting began.

French President Francois Hollande said French citizens could also possibly be caught up in the attack, while South Africa said it was aware of the situation.

No one has claimed responsibility for the attack, which comes as Mali battles a resurgence in jihadist violence, two years after a French-led offensive routed three militant factions from most parts of the country.

Situated only a few kilometers from the regional capital, Mopti, Sevare is a key staging post on the road to the desert north which fell to extremists in 2012.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top