The Tours city project was simple enough: Lure Chinese couples to get married in the heart of the Loire Valley — romantic French castle country — as a way to boost the area’s economic and cultural fortunes.
It soon went awry. First, the project got bogged down in corruption allegations. Then on Tuesday, the scandal took a deadly turn with the apparent suicide of former Tours mayor Jean Germain, as he was to go on trial with four other defendants in a case of alleged kickbacks and misuse of public funds.
Adding to the drama, another key defendant, Taiwanese-born Lise Han — who devised the plan and worked at City Hall to drum up Asian business — told investigators that she had had a secret love affair with Germain. One lawyer in the case said the ex-mayor had always denied that claim.
The apparent suicide was likely to cast a pall over the fairytale weddings of some Chinese couples who took up the city’s pitch as a romantic spot for tying the knot.
France’s body politic was shaken. The French Senate, where Germain had a seat as a Socialist senator, held a moment of silence to honor his memory on Tuesday.
French President Francois Hollande expressed his sadness, saying Germain had taken his own life “because he didn’t want his honor sullied.”
Prosecutors began looking into the scam in 2011, following news reports noting that the city was luring already married Chinese couples for the fake wedding ceremonies.
Minutes into the trial on Tuesday, Germain’s lawyer announced that a colleague had found a suicide note. The former mayor’s body was found later in town. The court abruptly adjourned until Oct. 13.
French TV news reports showed white-suited forensic teams in Tours, and broadcast archive images of Germain giving the traditional French bise cheek-kiss to one bride in an ornate ballroom filled with dozens of Asian couples.
The trial centers on alleged kickbacks linked to 750,000 euros (US$815,000) that Tours spent to lure Asian visitors between 2008 and 2011, officials said.
The city spent tens of thousands of euros on things like a stand at the Shanghai World Expo in 2010 and sending a delegation of dozens of representatives to China, one defense lawyer said.
Germain, 67, was facing charges including misuse of public funds, according to court documents, though not of benefiting financially himself. Han and her associates were the main suspected beneficiaries of the plot.
As mayor for nearly two decades until last year, Germain presided over the weddings.
The city’s effort to lure Chinese newlyweds ended after the suspected wrongdoing came to light.
According to court documents, Han alleged she had had an amorous relationship with Germain. Lawyer Gerard Cebron de Lisle, who is representing the city in its effort to recoup some of 500,000 euros in estimated losses, said Germain never admitted to that claim.
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of