Australia yesterday said it was simplifying the process of adopting children from overseas, setting up a single body to manage applications, while working on new arrangements with the US, Poland and Vietnam.
Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott said a new “one-stop shop” — the Intercountry Adoption Support Service — will have staff advocating on behalf of prospective families and dealing with local state authorities and partner countries.
Australia has one of the lowest levels of intercountry adoption in the world, according to a government report last year.
“For too long adoption has been in the too hard basket, for too long it has been too hard to adopt and for too long this has been a policy no-go zone,” the Australian leader said in a statement.
“It shouldn’t be that way because adoption is all about giving children a better life,” Abbot added.
The new service — which could start as soon as April — will also seek to reduce the length of time parents have to wait to adopt children, currently an average of five years.
The announcement came just a week after a baby boy at the center of an international debate about surrogacy was granted Australian citizenship.
Baby Gammy was reportedly abandoned in Thailand by a Perth couple who went home with just his healthy sister.
While commercial surrogacy is illegal in Australia, growing numbers of people are traveling to countries such as India and Thailand to engage women to carry their babies.
Adoption levels have fallen to a record low in Australia, Abbott said, with just 317 domestic and international adoptions finalized between July 1, 2013, and June 30 last year, 9 percent lower than the previous year and 76 percent down from 25 years ago.
Australia has intercountry arrangements with 14 countries, and the government said it was establishing new adoption programs with the US, Poland and Vietnam, and working on schemes with four other countries.
The four countries were not named by the government, but the Sunday Telegraph said they were Latvia, Kenya, Bulgaria and Cambodia.
FRENCH AID: Paris has sent a navy ship and aircraft from Reunion Island with some pollution control equipment, but rough seas are spreading the oil spill The operator of a Japanese bulk carrier which ran aground off Mauritius in the Indian Ocean yesterday apologized for a major oil spill, which officials and environmentalists say is creating an ecological disaster, as police prepared to board the ship. The MV Wakashio, operated by Mitsui OSK Lines, struck the reef on Mauritius’ southeast coast on July 25. “We apologize profusely and deeply for the great trouble we have caused,” Mitsui OSK Lines executive vice president Akihiko Ono said at a news conference in Tokyo. The company would “do everything in their power to resolve the issue,” he said. At least 1,000 tonnes of
They stand as eyesores to most passers-by and potential public health risks to authorities, decaying buildings wrapped in tangles of exposed wire, studded with protruding leaky plastic pipes, vegetation billowing from cracks and terraces where particulates from polluted air have accumulated over time. With skyscrapers and ultramodern developments on every side, some of these “nail houses” are also sitting on land worth millions of dollars in Shenzhen’s inferno of a property market, where new-unit and second-hand home prices rival London. In battles over land and development, the nail house phenomenon has become widespread throughout China over the past two decades, with owners
A cat that went missing on a family holiday on the shores of Loch Lomond, Scotland, has been identified 12 years later. Tortoiseshell-and-white Georgie spent October half term in 2008 with her owners at the Rowardennan campsite, but vanished as they were due to return home to Greater Manchester, England. After a search of the site the Davies family departed without Georgie, hoping the three-year-old microchipped feline would be located by someone. Over the intervening 12 years, she remained close to the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park site, being fed and cared for by campsite staff and holidaymakers. After the COVID-19 pandemic hit and lockdown
An Italian alpine resort on Friday remained on high alert over fears that a vast chunk of a glacier on the slopes of the Mont Blanc massif could plummet in high temperatures. “No one gets through! No cars, bikes or pedestrians,” was the message at a checkpoint where an automatic barrier and two guards blocked the small road snaking up into a lush valley below the Planpincieux glacier, near the town of Courmayeur and the Italian-French border. The blockade has largely been greeted with contempt by the locals, one of whom said: “It’s a joke.” The huge ice block measuring around 500,000 cubic