Boko Haram has claimed responsibility for a massive attack feared to be the worst in its six-year insurgency and threatened Nigeria’s neighbors, as talks began for a regional response to the militants and fears grew of further violence.
The confirmation from Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau came as no surprise after multiple eyewitness accounts of the attack on Baga, which is thought to have killed hundreds, if not more.
However, Shekau claimed that the attack on Jan. 3, in which large parts of Baga were burned to the ground and at least 16 surrounding settlements were razed, was only a prelude to further attacks.
“We killed the people of Baga. We indeed killed them, as our lord instructed us in his book,” Shekau said in the 35-minute message, which was posted on YouTube.
“We will not stop. This is not much. You’ll see,” he added.
There has been mounting global outrage at the extent of the slaughter, with residents who managed to escape recounting how bodies littered the streets more than two weeks after the initial assault.
One civilian vigilante, who fled after hiding for three days, told reporters that he was “stepping on bodies” for 5km as he escaped through the bush.
Hundreds of women and children were said to be still being held by the militants at a school and the home of a local lawmaker.
About 20,000 people are said to have fled, many of them across the border into Niger and Chad, heaping pressure on the local authorities there, who fear they could soon be targeted.
“Heavy clashes” between Muslim militants and Cameroonian soldiers were reported in the far northern border village of Bonderi on Tuesday night in the latest in a series of confrontations.
Chadian President Idriss Deby has sent a contingent of troops to help Cameroon repel the threat and has talked of recapturing Baga.
Nigeria and its neighbors met on Tuesday in Niger’s capital Niamey to seek a greater regional response to Boko Haram.
Ghanaian President John Dramani Mahama has also suggested a new force, possibly under the auspices of the African Union, to crush the group.
However, Shekau dismissed the threat of a wider response and showed a huge arsenal of weapons, said to be taken from a military base in Doron Baga and used by troops from Nigeria, Niger and Chad.
“The kings of Africa, you are late. I challenge you to attack me even now. I’m ready,” he said.
Shekau claimed that Cameroonian President Paul Biya had asked for help because he was “gripped by fear” and mocked Deby for his offer of assistance.
Nigerien President Mahamadou Issoufou was also warned for commiserating with France after the recent Muslim militant attacks against the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo.
“Muhammad Yusuf [Mahamadou Issoufou], is that your job? Ah, ah, ah. Muhammad Yusuf, you will see. President of Niger, you will see,” Shekau said.
The video came after testimony from people fleeing Baga that four villages about 40km from the town had been visited by Muslim militants and their residents told to leave.
Security analysts have said the capture of Baga puts the militants in a strategic position to push south towards Maiduguri, the capital of Borno State, where the group was founded in 2002.
Boko Haram was forced out of Maiduguri in 2013 after the declaration of emergency rule, but has in the last six months captured dozens of towns in the far northeast, effectively encircling the city.
It has been feared that they want to recapture Maiduguri to form the center of the hardline Muslim state it has been fighting to establish.
Shekau, who has previously declared some captured towns part of Boko Haram’s caliphate, burned the Nigerian flag to cheers of “Allahu Akbar” (“God is great,” in Arabic) and celebratory gunfire.
“This is the replacement of the Nigerian flag,” he said, waving the Muslim militants’ black standard.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting