Police in western Canada yesterday were investigating the “senseless mass murder” of six adults and two children, who were apparently slain by a depressed man who later killed himself.
Edmonton Police Service Chief Rod Knecht said the killings — the worst ever in Edmonton — were “planned and deliberate,” and apparently were carried out during a domestic dispute.
The killings began late on Monday in the southern part of Edmonton, a city of nearly 1 million people in the province of Alberta, where a man shot to death a woman in her 30s, Knecht said.
The man then headed to a residence in the north of the city, where he killed another seven people — three women, two men, a girl and a boy.
Alerted by reports of a disturbance, police on Monday went first to a home where they discovered the body of the first female victim.
Later that evening, they went to investigate reports of a “suicidal male” at a house in the north of the city.
An initial visit to the house showed nothing out of the ordinary, but when police returned a few hours later and entered the home, they discovered the bodies of the seven slain people.
The body of the suspected killer, an apparent suicide, was found early on Tuesday in a Vietnamese restaurant in Fort Saskatchewan, a northeastern suburb of Edmonton.
Authorities said that the suspect “had a business interest” in the restaurant where his body was found.
The names and ages of the victims and their alleged killer were not immediately released.
Knecht said the suspect had a criminal record of sexual assault and violence dating back to 1987, and that he was in deep financial distress.
A woman told the Edmonton Journal newspaper that she had heard noises on Monday outside the restaurant.
She saw several police officers, one of whom yelled through a megaphone to someone in the restaurant: “Come out with your hands up.”
Detectives went on to find a dead man inside and quickly identified him as the suspected killer.
Knecht said that the public was not at any risk.
“This series of events are not believed to be random acts,” he said at a news conference. “And these events do not appear to be gang-related, but rather tragic incidents of domestic violence.”
“Our thoughts go out to the community... with this senseless mass murder,” the police chief added.
The killings were the worst-ever in Edmonton, where six people were slain in a tragic incident in 1956.
Mass killings and gun crime are relatively rare in Canada compared with the US, where gun ownership is also much more widespread.
Choosing a full-fledged confrontation with the US due to the loss of a megacontract for submarines for Australia, France is making a risky bet and other nations are not rushing to its defense. After Australia renounced its deal for conventional submarines in favor of US nuclear-powered ones, France took the extraordinary step of pulling its ambassadors from Washington and Canberra for consultations. Bertrand Badie, an international relations professor at the Sciences Po institute in Paris, said France had put itself in a position where it can only appear to be backing down or losing face once its ambassador returns to the US,
Could delivering COVID-19 immunity directly to the nose — the area of the body via which it is mostly transmitted — help conquer the pandemic? The WHO says clinical trials are under way to evaluate eight nasal spray vaccines that target COVID-19. The most advanced effort so far by China’s Xiamen University, the University of Hong Kong and Beijing Wantai Biological Pharmacy has completed phase 2 trials. “When the virus infects someone, it usually gets in through the nose,” said researcher Nathalie Mielcarek, who is working with the Lille Pasteur Institute to develop a nasal spray vaccine against whooping cough. “The
PLANNING TO REOPEN: Amid 1,607 new COVID-19 cases, the country is making a shift away from lockdowns, acknowledging that outbreaks will happen Australia reported 1,607 new coronavirus cases yesterday as states and territories gradually shift from trying to eliminate outbreaks to living with the virus. Victoria, home to about a quarter of Australia’s 25 million people, recorded 507 cases as Premier Daniel Andrews said a weeks-long lockdown will end once 70 percent of those 16 and older are fully vaccinated, whether or not there are new cases. Andrews said the state might reach that vaccination threshold around Oct. 26. About 43 percent of Victorians have been fully vaccinated, 46 percent nationwide. “We will do so cautiously, but make no mistake, we are opening this place
OLD WAYS: The Ministry of Women’s Affairs also seems to have closed, as its sign was replaced with one for the Ministry for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice The Taliban have effectively banned girls from secondary education in Afghanistan, by ordering high schools to reopen only for boys. Girls were not mentioned in Friday’s announcement, which means boys would be back at their desks next week after a one-month hiatus, while girls would still be stuck at home. The Taliban Ministry of Education said that secondary-school classes for boys in grades 7 to 12 would resume yesterday, the start of the Afghan week. “All male teachers and students should attend their educational institutions,” the statement said. The future of girls and female teachers, stuck at home since the Taliban took