Malaysia yesterday pledged more funds to help more than 160,000 people hit by the nation’s worst flooding in decades, as forecasters said fresh rain could hamper efforts to relieve thousands left stranded by the waters.
Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak promised an additional 500 million ringgit (US$143 million) in aid after touring parts of Kelantan State on Saturday, which along with northeastern Terengganu and Pahang regions has been worst hit by the deluge.
Eight people have reportedly been killed so far by the torrential monsoon rains, and fears are mounting that the toll could rise as communities have been left stranded without food or medicine.
“The country is in desperate need of more helicopters,” Deputy Minister of Transport Aziz Kaprawi said, as rescue agencies warned that shortages of fuel and clean water were hampering search efforts.
The worst flooding in 30 years has devastated much of northern Malaysia, with about 8,000 people thought to have been left stranded across the impoverished Kelantan State, where 17 areas have been cut off by the rising waters.
From the air, state capital Kota Bharu appeared to be a vast muddy lake left largely without power. Locals said many people had turned to looting because of a lack of fresh food and water supplies.
Weather forecasters yesterday warned that much of Malaysia would see more storms over the next three days.
“We expect another surge in heavy rain followed by strong winds brought by the seasonal northeast monsoon, which usually continues until March,” a meteorological department official said. “It is going to take time for the flood waters to subside.”
Anger has been mounting across Malaysia at what is seen as the government’s slow response to the crisis. Truck drivers are complaining of diesel shortages as many gas stations have been submerged, while at relief centers workers are struggling to cope without enough clean water in the face of unsanitary conditions.
Najib has faced a storm of criticism after being pictured playing golf with US President Barack Obama during the storms. The prime minister yesterday defended his “golf diplomacy,” with the Sunday Star newspaper quoting him as saying “it is hard for me to turn ... down” a personal invitation by the US head of state.
The government has since stepped up its response to the crisis, pledging the extra 500 million ringgit to help cope with the crisis on top of the 50 million ringgit already allocated. However, victims of the flooding said that still would not be enough.
“I don’t think Najib’s 500 million ringgit is enough. There are just too many victims,” Tuan Sri Kuning, 58, said. “The conditions in the relief center are very dirty with rubbish not collected, and it is infested with mosquitoes. We have limited drinking water,” he said.
Some people have started flying their sick parents out of the state themselves.
“Our home is totally submerged,” said Ahmad Wajih Saifullah, a 25-year-old engineer who returned to Kelantan to evacuate his elderly and sick parents back to the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur.
“My mother has high blood pressure and diabetes. She lost all her medicine when they had to abandon their homes quickly due to fast rising waters,” he said. “I went to pharmacy shops and hospitals, but was told that there was no one to disburse the medicine.”
‘CONFESSED’: A court in Beijing said that former CCP member Ren Zhiqiang abused his power at a state firm and embezzled almost US$7.14 million of public funds A Chinese tycoon who called Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) a clown and criticized his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic was yesterday jailed for 18 years for corruption, bribery and embezzlement of public funds. Ren Zhiqiang (任志強) — once among the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) inner circle — disappeared from the public eye in March, shortly after penning an essay that lambasted Xi’s pandemic response. His outspokenness had earned the former chairman of state-owned property developer Huayuan Group the nickname “Big Cannon.” Yesterday’s verdict said that Ren embezzled almost 50 million yuan (US$7.4 million) of public funds and accepted bribes worth 1.25 million
AUSTRALIAN SITE: China has had a contract with SSC’s Yatharagga station since at least 2011, but the last time it used it was in June 2013. No final date has been given China would lose access to a strategic space tracking station in Western Australia when its contract expires, the facility’s owners said, a decision that cuts into Beijing’s expanding space exploration and navigational capabilities in the Pacific region. The Swedish Space Corp (SSC) has had a contract allowing Beijing access to the satellite antenna at the station since at least 2011. The station is located next to an SSC satellite station primarily used by the US and its agencies, including NASA. The Swedish state-owned company said it would not enter into any new contracts at the Australian site to support Chinese customers after
OFF BORDER ISLAND: The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel wearing a life jacket and leaving behind his shoes, indicating an intentional move, Seoul said North Korean soldiers shot dead a suspected South Korean defector at sea and burned his body as a COVID-19 precaution after he was interrogated in the water over several hours, Seoul military officials said yesterday. It is the first killing of a South Korean citizen by North Korean forces for a decade, and comes with Pyongyang at high alert over the COVID-19 pandemic and inter-Korean relations at a standstill. The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel near the western border island of Yeonpyeong on Monday, the official said. More than 24 hours later, North Korean forces located him in their waters and
The scarcity of commercial flights landing at Sydney Airport has been a disaster for airlines and workers, but for hobby pilots the COVID-19 pandemic has provided the opportunity of a lifetime. The quieter-than-usual runways mean that private pilots have been given the chance to land at the international airport for the first time. When Sydney Flight College club captain Tim Lindley put out a call, he received an overwhelming response. He eventually organized for 14 light aircraft to fly into Sydney airport on Sunday. “For a lot of the pilots involved, including myself, it was a childhood dream to land in a big