Colombian Marxist rebels freed an army general and two other captives on Sunday, paving the way for peace negotiations in Cuba to resume in the quest to end five decades of war.
Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos halted the talks two weeks ago after the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) seized five hostages, including General Ruben Dario Alzate.
Santos insisted there would be no more negotiations until all five hostages were freed.
The rebels released two soldiers last week and the other three — Alzate, a soldier and a civilian lawyer — were set free on Sunday in a jungle area of Choco Province on Colombia’s Pacific coast. The government said they were in good health.
“It’s clear this decision contributes to returning to a favorable climate for continuing the talks [and] shows the maturity of the process,” Santos said in a statement.
Lead government negotiator, Humberto de la Calle, said late on Sunday that members of the government team would return to Havana for a two-day meeting with FARC leaders, although he stopped short of saying it marked a full resumption of talks.
Confirming the hostages’ release, the FARC’s team in Havana reiterated its demand for a ceasefire during peace talks, a request Santos has repeatedly said is out of the question.
The FARC said the two sides need “to redesign the rules of the game” without clarifying what that meant. FARC leader Rodrigo Londono said Santos violated an agreement governing the talks by bringing them to a halt.
Alzate, 55, and his fellow captives were seized as they disembarked from a boat in a violent and impoverished jungle region of Choco. The FARC declared him a prisoner of war.
The two soldiers freed on Tuesday last week were taken during combat in the eastern province of Arauca three weeks ago.
At the talks in Havana, the government and the FARC have reached partial agreement on land reform, ending the illegal drugs trade and political participation for demobilized rebels.
Former Colombian president Alvaro Uribe, now a senator, has slammed the talks, claiming the rebels are seeking impunity and had milked the hostage-taking for media coverage.
ACADEMIC FREEDOM: One professor told her students to submit anonymized papers and not to record any online classes. Some US schools have announced similar steps Students at Oxford University specializing in the study of China are being asked to submit some papers anonymously to protect them from the possibility of retribution under the sweeping new security law introduced three months ago in Hong Kong. The anonymity ruling is to be applied in classes, and group tutorials are to be replaced by one-to-ones. Students are also to be warned that it will be viewed as a disciplinary offence if they tape classes or share them with outside groups. The Hong Kong National Security Law was imposed on June 30 by Beijing after more than a year of pro-democracy
Japan’s government yesterday urged people to seek help if they were struggling to cope, following Sunday’s death of the popular actress and Miss Sherlock star Yuko Takeuchi, 40. News of her death shocked the nation and follows other recent cases of Japanese celebrities taking their lives, with figures showing a recent rise in suicides. Takeuchi was a household name in Japan and had given birth to her second child in January. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Katsunobu Kato did not mention a particular case, but said that some people were struggling to cope during the COVID-19 pandemic. “There has been an uptick in the number
China on Thursday lashed out at the US at a high-level UN meeting over its criticism on the COVID-19 pandemic, with its envoy declaring, “Enough is enough.” Two days after US President Donald Trump used his annual address to the General Assembly to attack China’s record, US Ambassador to the UN Kelly Craft, also took an outraged tone — after which her Chinese counterpart showed palpable anger. “I must say, enough is enough. You have created enough troubles for the world already,” Chinese Ambassador to the UN Zhang Jun (張軍) told a Security Council meeting on global governance attended through videoconference
PAPAL POLITICS? The controversial Australian prelate’s return to Rome comes just days after the pope fired one of his most powerful opponents over a financial scandal Cardinal George Pell, Pope Francis’ former finance minister, is to soon return to the Vatican during an extraordinary economic scandal for the first time since he was cleared of child abuse allegations in Australia five months ago, a church agency said yesterday. Pell is to fly back to Rome today, CathNews, an information agency of the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference said, citing “sources close to” Pell. Pell’s return follows Francis last week firing one of the cardinal’s most powerful opponents, Cardinal Angelo Becciu, over a financial scandal. Pell was regarded as the third-highest-ranking Vatican official and was attempting to wrestle the Holy See’s