A Russian Web site offering thousands of live feeds peering into bedrooms and offices around the world by accessing poorly secured Web cams should be taken down immediately, British officials said on Thursday.
The British Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) said the site was taking advantage of devices such as CCTV cameras and remote-access baby monitors that lack security protection or have weak passwords.
“I want the Russians to take this down straight away,” British Information Commissioner Christopher Graham told BBC radio.
Graham said the first reports about the Web site, which has a domain name in the Australian-administered Cocos Islands, came from Macau and Hong Kong, then Australia and Canada.
Britain is now planning “very prompt action,” with the Federal Trade Commission, the US consumer protection agency, “to get this thing closed down,” Graham said, without giving further details.
However, a spokesman for Roskomnadzor, the Russian communications watchdog, denied that his country was responsible and said questions should be asked of Web cam manufacturers.
“Most likely Russia has nothing to do with this,” Roskomnadzor spokesman Vadim Ampelonsky said on Thursday evening. “The domain is registered in the United States.”
In Britain, the ICO said about 500 feeds had been targeted, including a gym in Manchester, a house in Birmingham and an office in Leicester.
“The Web site, which is based in Russia, accesses the information by using the default login credentials, which are freely available online for thousands of cameras,” ICO group manager for technology Simon Rice said. “The footage is being collected from security cameras used by businesses and members of the public, ranging from CCTV networks used to keep large premises secure down to built-in cameras on baby monitors.”
The site reveals the location and manufacturer of the device whose feeds have been accessed using software and search tools.
Chinese company Foscam was the most commonly listed manufacturer, followed by US firm Linksys and Japanese multinational Panasonic.
“We are still trying to determine which Linksys IP cameras are referenced on the site,” a spokeswoman for the US company said. “We believe they are older Linksys IP cameras which are no longer being manufactured. For these cameras we do not have a way to force customers to change their default passwords.”
All three stressed that customers were instructed to change the default passwords in order to secure their devices.
Mischa Dohler, wireless communications expert at London’s King’s College, said the site was not hacking in the traditional sense and was just making use of search engines freely available on the Internet.
“It’s as though you leave your house open and people come inside. Is that OK or not OK? They’re not touching anything or taking anything away,” Dohler told Sky News.
Given the broad range of devices affected and the international scope of the Web site, an ICO spokesman admitted that it had no power to take it down.
“If a Web site in the UK did this we would take action against it, because firstly it’s a breach of the Data Protection Act, because you are accessing people’s information and you shouldn’t be, and secondly there are also issues around the Computer Misuse Act,” the spokesman said.
Data watchdogs across the world have already drawn attention to the site, which is showing content from 4,591 cameras in the US, 2,059 in France and 1,576 in the Netherlands.
“We’ve got to grow up about this sort of thing. These devices are very handy if you want to check your child is OK and the shop’s alright, but everyone else can access that too unless you set a strong password,” Graham said. “If you value your privacy, put in the basic security arrangements.”
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting