Five years after 58 people were killed in the Philippines’ worst political massacre, anger among victims’ relatives is building, with no one yet convicted and the alleged masterminds still enjoying power.
Nine leaders of a clan accused of orchestrating the slaughter are among dozens on trial, but there are deep concerns the proceedings could take many more years and that witnesses are being killed or intimidated.
“Sometimes we feel hopeless, that this is all going nowhere,” Noemi Parcon, whose husband was among 32 journalists killed in the massacre, said as she attended the trial in Manila this week.
“We’d be happy even if only the principals are convicted,” she said.
The leaders of the Ampatuan family, who ruled the impoverished southern province of Maguindanao, are accused of organizing the killings on Nov. 23, 2009, in a bid to quash an election challenge from a rival clan.
Thirty-two media workers were among those killed, making the attack one of the deadliest ever recorded globally against journalists.
Andal Ampatuan Sr had ruled Maguindanao as governor for about a decade under the patronage of then-Philippine president Gloria Arroyo, who had funded a private army for the clan as a buffer against Muslim separatist rebels.
Ampatuan’s son and namesake is accused of leading the militia in stopping a convoy that was carrying his political foe’s wife, relatives, lawyers and journalists, then gunning them down on a grassy hill.
The victims’ bodies were found almost immediately afterwards in roadside pits that were dug using a government-owned excavator.
Father and son, plus seven other Ampatuans, are among 111 people detained in Manila while on trial. They deny carrying out the murders.
However, the government said 79 suspects, including nine Ampatuans, remain at large.
In the Philippines, even a simple trial involving one accused person typically takes many years to complete.
Amid fears the massacre trial could take decades, the Supreme Court last year took steps to speed up proceedings, including the scheduling of twice-weekly hearings instead of once a week.
Philippine President Benigno Aquino III has also said he wants verdicts against the Ampatuan leaders announced by the time he stands down in mid-2016.
Harry Roque, a private prosecutor representing the families of 13 victims, said he expected verdicts against the main defendants next year. However, the chief prosecutor, Archie Manabat, said he could not give any timeframe.
“We want to finish this as soon as possible, but there are many constraints,” Manabat said this week on the sidelines of the trial.
The court is currently focused on petitions for bail by the Ampatuan leaders and Human Rights Watch said in a statement to mark the five-year anniversary that the case was in “effective judicial limbo.”
“Bail petitions and testimony challenges by the defense lawyers ... have overwhelmed the court,” Human Rights Watch’s deputy director for Asia Phelim Kine said in the statement.
Meanwhile, human rights groups and victims’ relatives say witnesses are being killed or intimidated in a bid to sabotage the case.
Four people who had already given testimony or were scheduled to, as well as three relatives of potential witnesses, have been murdered over the past few years.
A Maguindanao man whom police said had agreed to testify at the trial was on Tuesday the latest to be killed. A second would-be witness was wounded in the attack, a roadside ambush by a group of gunmen.
“The attack clearly aims to cow the other witnesses into submission,” the Philippines’ National Press Club said in a statement.
Adding to the fears, the Ampatuan family continues to wield huge influence over Maguindanao, despite the clan’s leaders being detained 900km away in Manila. The wives of three detained Ampatuan defendants were elected as town mayors in Maguindanao last year. Sixteen other Ampatuans were elected to local government posts.
Local rights groups and election monitors said at the time the Ampatuans’ election wins were not a surprise, citing the well-known clan power structure in Maguindanao and other Muslim-dominated southern provinces.
However, Erlyn Umpad, whose television cameraman partner was among those murdered, said she and many other relatives of victims would never give up their quest for justice.
“I want them put away for life. They need to suffer too, just like me,” the 25-year-old said at the trial this week, sitting in black mourning clothes a few meter from about 30 of the alleged killers.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of
The Philippine army chief yesterday expressed outrage over the fatal police shooting of four soldiers, including two officers, and demanded justice, as both sides provided contrasting accounts of the killings. Philippine Secretary of the Interior and Local Government Eduardo Ano, a retired military chief of staff who now oversees the national police, ordered that the police involved in Monday’s violence in Jolo in Sulu Province be disarmed and restricted for investigation. Police said the soldiers were killed in a “misencounter” with a group of police officers. The army said that the two officers and two enlisted men were on a mission against