In this town named after Saint Nicholas, Yuletide cheer is being clouded by controversy over the good saint’s helpers.
Across the Netherlands and Belgium, celebrations in which Saint Nicholas rolls into town surrounded by a host of “Black Petes” have come under increasing pressure yearly from complaints about racism. Black Pete, known locally as Zwarte Piet, is usually played by a white person who paints their face pitch black, dons a frizzy wig and sports bright red lips — stereotyped caricatures that disappeared from most nations decades ago.
Sint-Niklaas, Belgium — with a church and statue honoring the saint — has long been one of the focal points of the celebrations. A grand entrance yesterday was expected to bring tens of thousands of children flocking to the “home of the saint.”
Yet even in this bastion of tradition, questions are starting to be asked about Black Pete.
Wouter Van Bellingen remembered how, as a black child growing up in mostly white Sint-Niklaas, he used to be taunted with chants of: “Look, there goes Black Pete.”
“Kids can be hard when it comes to that,” said the former Sint-Niklaas alderman and current director of the region’s Minorities Forum. “I retorted with: ‘there goes White Pete.’ I always had my answer.”
Around this time of year, people dressed as Saint Nicholas visit hundreds of villages in Belgium and Holland, arriving by steamer or on his white horse to the delight of shrieking children across the two nations. The Black Petes do everything from carrying presents to throwing sweets at the crowds and generally prancing about until Saint Nicholas Day on Dec. 6.
Black Pete has evolved over the years. A quarter-century ago, Black Pete was a scary character, carrying a big bag to hold naughty kids and a whip to punish the disobedient. Promoting him in recent years as a happy-go-lucky sidekick full of quirky madness has helped him to compete in popularity with Saint Nicholas himself.
“The past few years, Pete is at least as popular. Kids cling to him, ask him questions, hold his hand,” Flanders Saint Nicholas Guild secretary Raf Rumes said.
In another new touch, almost half of the Petes greeting crowds in this town’s Saint Nicholas “mansion” — a yearly holiday attraction — are played by women. At the fun house, which reopened last week for a month-long run, children squealed as female Petes showed them Saint Nicholas’ dining room and sleeping quarters for all of the Petes.
However, efforts at softening Pete’s image have failed to subdue disagreements between the pro- and anti-Black Pete camps in the Netherlands, where resentment over immigration has simmered for years. Liberals want to abolish the tradition, while the right-wing firebrand Dutch Party for Freedom founder Geert Wilders and his anti-immigration party have proposed legislation that would keep Pete black — by law.
“There is a war under way against Black Pete,” party culture spokesman Martin Bosma said. “Ministers and mayors are working to give this loyal helper another color. That must not happen. Our culture should not be damaged from on high. This law must protect Black Pete.”
Last year, more than 2 million people endorsed a Facebook petition to keep Black Pete’s image unchanged. That’s about one-eighth of the entire Dutch population, indicating the depth of emotion over the issue.
However, Van Bellingen insists that democracy is not about numbers alone.
“It is about the will of the majority and the rights of the minority,” he said. “As a majority, you have to be sensitive and show empathy for things that are hurtful to a minority.”
Van Bellingen agrees with Rumes that children should take center stage in the festivities — just without Black Pete.
“Saint Nicolas is a great celebration in itself,” he said. “Only, I think you need to get rid of Black Pete to turn it into a party for everyone.”
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of
The Philippine army chief yesterday expressed outrage over the fatal police shooting of four soldiers, including two officers, and demanded justice, as both sides provided contrasting accounts of the killings. Philippine Secretary of the Interior and Local Government Eduardo Ano, a retired military chief of staff who now oversees the national police, ordered that the police involved in Monday’s violence in Jolo in Sulu Province be disarmed and restricted for investigation. Police said the soldiers were killed in a “misencounter” with a group of police officers. The army said that the two officers and two enlisted men were on a mission against