The UN is preparing to confront North Korea over its dismal rights record with a key vote this week that could compel Pyongyang to answer to crimes against humanity.
A UN General Assembly committee is to vote tomorrow on a resolution drafted by the EU and Japan condemning human rights abuses in North Korea and calling for a war crimes probe.
While North Korea often features on the roster of resolutions targeting pariah states, the latest text has been the focus of intense diplomacy over provisions that could see the Pyongyang regime in the dock at the International Criminal Court (ICC).
The resolution draws heavily from a UN report released in February that detailed a vast network of prison camps and provided accounts of torture, summary executions and rape, mostly from testimony given by North Korean exiles.
Responsibility for these crimes lies at the highest level of the state, according to the report, which concluded that the atrocities amounted to crimes against humanity.
The landmark report stirred alarm in Pyongyang, which launched a diplomatic offensive to ensure the key provisions urging the UN Security Council to refer Pyongyang to the Hague-based ICC are scrapped.
Rushing to North Korea’s defense, Cuba last week tabled an amendment — that will also be put to a vote — cutting all references to the ICC and instead encouraging cooperation through fact-finding visits and talks with the UN rights office.
Diplomats said the Cuba amendment could garner support in particular from African countries that have bristled at the ICC’s focus on African war crimes cases.
To counter Cuba’s move, the EU presented a new text on Friday by the EU with a provision welcoming cooperation on rights with North Korea, but maintaining the call for a probe of crimes against humanity.
Supporters of the EU-Japan text, cosponsored by 48 countries, are hoping for a strong vote of support to push the council into taking action against Pyongyang.
After the vote in the Third Committee, the resolution will go to the General Assembly next month, but it would still remain an open question if the council will follow up on the resolution and refer North Korea to the ICC, with China and Russia expected to oppose such a move.
Pyongyang has made clear that cooperation on rights is conditional on dropping the threat of ICC prosecution outlined in the resolution.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting