More than 100 Philippine peacekeepers returning from almost a year in Liberia will be put in quarantine on an isolated island on arrival this week to check for Ebola, the military said yesterday, adding there were fears how the public might react.
The 21-day quarantine, on a navy-run island at the mouth of Manila Bay, was in line with WHO protocols and with government’s drive to remain Ebola-free, military chief General Gregorio Catapang said.
The death toll from the Ebola epidemic has risen to 4,950 out of 13,241 cases in the three worst-hit countries of West Africa, Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, the WHO said on Friday last week, calling for widespread rigorous controls to halt its spread.
“Our peacekeepers belong to no-risk category of the Ebola infection,” Catapang told a news conference at the main army base in Manila, two days before the arrival of 108 soldiers, 24 police and jail wardens from Monrovia.
“Our troops have no direct contact with any Ebola victim. Their work is concentrated inside the force headquarters of the United Nations mission in Liberia,” he said.
The UN peacekeeping force in Liberia was set up in 2003 to support a civil war ceasefire.
Catapang said the Filipino peacekeepers had undergone thorough medical screening by the UN. The quarantine was a further precaution imposed by the Philippines, the largest group to be isolated in the current Ebola crisis, he said.
The peacekeepers will arrive at an air base in Manila tomorrow and travel by bus to a naval base south of Manila and be transported by ship to Caballo island, a naval facility used by the Americans during World War II.
Families and friends would be brought to the base, but not allowed contact, army Major-General Domingo Tutaan said, adding that the military was worried about how the public would react to the peacekeepers’ return.
They would not be required to wear masks or protective gear.
The Health Ministry has trained hundreds of medical workers and prepared at least 22 hospitals to handle Ebola cases in case the disease reaches the Philippines.
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of