One of the last times anyone ever saw Tommy Thompson, he was walking on the pool deck of a Florida mansion wearing nothing but eyeglasses, leather shoes, socks and underwear, his brown hair growing wild.
It was a far cry from the conquering hero who, almost two decades before, docked a ship in Norfolk, Virginia, loaded with what’s been described as the greatest lost treasure in US history — thousands of kilograms of gold that sat in the ocean for 131 years after the ship carrying it sank during a hurricane.
On that day in 1989, Thompson could not contain a grin as hundreds cheered his achievement, but his victory was short-lived.
For the past two years, the US Marshals Service has hunted Thompson as a fugitive — wanted for skipping a court date to explain to investors what happened to the riches.
The rise and fall of the intrepid explorer is the stuff of storybooks, a tale receiving renewed attention amid a new expedition begun this year to the sunken ship.
“I think he had calculated it, whatever you want to call it, an escape plan,” Marshals agent Brad Fleming said. “I think he’s had that for a long time.”
Around 1983, Thompson grew obsessed with tracking down the SS Central America. When the ship went down off the South Carolina coast in 1857, 425 people drowned and gold worth millions was lost.
Thompson, an oceanic engineer at Battelle Memorial Institute in Columbus, convinced 161 people to invest in his quest, raising US$12.7 million. On Oct. 1, 1988, he finally found the treasure, which he would later describe as “otherworldly in its splendor.”
However, his joy faded fast. Thirty-nine insurance companies sued Thompson, claiming they had insured the gold in 1857 and that it belonged to them. In 1996, Thompson’s firm was awarded 92 percent of the treasure, and the rest was divided among some of the insurers.
Four years later, Thompson’s company netted US$50 million after selling 532 gold bars and thousands of coins to a gold marketing group. However, his legal troubles were not over yet.
By 2005, Thompson’s investors still had not been paid, and two sued — a now-deceased investment firm president who put in about US$250,000 and the Dispatch Printing Co, which publishes the Columbus Dispatch newspaper and invested about US$1 million. The following year, nine members of Thompson’s crew also sued, saying they, too, were promised some proceeds.
Thompson went into seclusion, moving into a mansion in Vero Beach, Florida. After that, his behavior turned bizarre.
Thompson refused to use his real name on his utility bills, telling realtor Vance Brinkerhoff that his life had been threatened and asking him: “How would you like to live like that?”
Brinkerhoff recounted the exchange in a court deposition.
In another deposition, maintenance worker James Kennedy recalled once going to the house and seeing Thompson on the pool deck wearing only socks, shoes and dirty underwear.
ON THE LAM
It is not clear exactly when Thompson disappeared. On Aug. 13, 2012, he failed to appear at a hearing in the court battles, and a federal judge found him in contempt and issued an arrest warrant. Not long after, Kennedy went inside the Florida mansion and found pre-paid disposable cellphones and bank wraps for US$10,000 bills, along with a book called How to Live Your Life Invisible.
The Marshals Service has splashed Thompson’s face on electronic billboards and run down hundreds of tips. Nothing has panned out. A “Wanted” poster even hangs in the barge making a new voyage to the site of the Central America wreck in a new expedition to recover more treasure from the “Ship of Gold.”
Since April, Florida-based Odyssey Marine Exploration has brought up millions of dollars in gold and silver bars and coins. That work will continue indefinitely, an Odyssey spokeswoman said, and Thompson’s original investors are expected to receive part of the recovered riches.
As to where Thompson, now 62, might be, theories abound. The crew members’ attorney, Mike Szolosi, asserts that he has seen records indicating Thompson took 500 gold coins worth US$2 million and took potentially millions from his own company on top of his approved compensation.
“Presumably all of that is still somewhere with Tommy,” he said.
Attorney Rick Roble, who defended Thompson’s company until he withdrew from the case last month, said there is no proof Thompson stole anything.
Fleming believes Thompson is likely still in the US, although “we definitely never rule out ... that he may be abroad or at sea.”
Gil Kirk, a former director of one of Thompson’s companies, said he put US$1.8 million into the treasure hunt. Though he has not gotten any of that back, to Kirk, Thompson remains a US hero, “like the Wright brothers.” The tragedy, he said, is that Thompson’s dream became his doom.
“Tommy used the word, what’s the word?” Kirk said. “Plague of the gold.”
Dutch scientists have found the coronavirus in a city’s wastewater before COVID-19 cases were reported, demonstrating a novel early warning system for the disease. SARS-CoV-2 — the virus that causes COVID-19 — is often excreted in an infected person’s stool. Although it is unlikely that sewage will become an important route of transmission, the pathogen’s increasing circulation in communities would increase the amount of it flowing into sewer systems, Gertjan Medema and colleagues at the KWR Water Research Institute in Nieuwegein said on Monday. They detected genetic material from the coronavirus at a wastewater treatment plant in Amersfoort on March 5, before
A coronavirus-free tropical island nestled in the northern Pacific might seem the perfect place to ride out a pandemic, but residents on Palau said that life right now is far from idyllic. The microstate of 18,000 people is among a dwindling number of places on Earth that still report zero cases of COVID-19 as figures mount daily elsewhere. The disparate group also includes Samoa, Turkmenistan, North Korea and bases on the frozen continent of Antarctica. A dot in the ocean hundreds of kilometers from its nearest neighbors, Palau is surrounded by the vast Pacific Ocean, which has acted as a buffer against the
‘LIKE A CASSANDRA’: Chinese residents of Prato went into self-imposed lockdown and warned their Italian neighbors about what was coming, but were ignored In the storm of infection and death sweeping Italy, one big community stands out to health officials as remarkably unscathed — the 50,000 ethnic Chinese who live in the town of Prato. Two months ago, the country’s Chinese residents were the target of what Amnesty International described as shameful discrimination, the butt of insults and violent attacks by people who feared that they would spread the coronavirus through Italy. However, in the Tuscan town of Prato, home to Italy’s single biggest Chinese community, the opposite has been true. Once scapegoats, they are now held up by authorities as a model for early,
TRUE TOLL? Some Chinese are skeptical about official data, particularly given the overwhelmed medical system and initial attempts to cover up the outbreak The long lines and stacks of urns greeting family members of the dead at funeral homes in Wuhan, China, are spurring questions about the true scale of casualties at the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak, renewing pressure on a Chinese government struggling to control its containment narrative. The families of those who succumbed to the coronavirus in the city, where the disease first emerged, were allowed to pick up their cremated ashes at eight funeral homes last week. As they did, photographs circulated on Chinese social media of thousands of urns being ferried in. Outside one funeral home, trucks shipped in about 2,500