Wed, Aug 27, 2014 - Page 7 News List

World News Quick Take



TEPCO to compensate suicide

The family of a Japanese woman who fatally set herself on fire after being forced to flee the disaster at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant was awarded nearly half a million dollars in damages yesterday, reports said. It was the first time that the operator of the stricken plant, Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO), has been ordered to pay compensation for a suicide linked to the 2011 incident. Hamako Watanabe, 58, doused herself in gasoline and self-immolated when she was allowed to temporarily return to her home in June 2011, reports said. Her husband and three children sued TEPCO for damages, arguing that the forced evacuation was responsible for the symptoms of depression she displayed.


Jellyfish kills French boy, 5

Authorities yesterday urged visitors to the popular Thai resort island of Koh Phangan to take care when swimming after a five-year-old French boy died from a sting by the world’s most toxic jellyfish. The boy, who was vacationing with his family, died on Saturday evening after he was stung by a box jellyfish — regarded as one of the deadliest creatures on Earth. While stings from the species are rare, they are potentially fatal, prompting police on Koh Phangan to urge hotels and local authorities to warn tourists to be careful in the water.


Fetus removed after 36 years

Doctors have removed the skeleton of a fetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years in what is believed to be the world’s longest ectopic pregnancy, a doctor has said. The 60-year-old woman became pregnant at the age of 24, but suffered a miscarriage because the fetus had been growing outside of her uterus, the doctor told reporters on Monday. The woman, from a poor rural area in the center of the country, was “terrified” of having surgery at the time to remove the remains of the fetus and instead sought medication for the pain at a local clinic. Although the pain gradually subsided, it returned years later, forcing the woman to seek medical help at a hospital in western India, Murtaza Akhtar said. Doctors felt a lump on her lower right abdomen and feared it could be cancer, but further tests and scans revealed a calcified mass. “It was actually a matured skeleton encapsulated in a calcified sac,” Akhtar said.


Elk enters office building

A confused young elk wandered into an office building in Dresden on Monday, where he waited several hours “largely calmly” to be rescued, police said. The 800kg elk got stuck in a glass-enclosed foyer of a cafeteria at an office block used by the engineering giant Siemens. Watched by a large crowd, officers and representatives of the Dresden Zoo and hunting office at first tried to coax the animal into a large trailer. However, after several unsuccessful attempts, they used a tranquilizer on the animal so they could hoist him out of the narrow entryway.


Tourist climbs Brooklyn Bridge

A Russian tourist has been arrested and charged after scaling New York’s iconic Brooklyn Bridge to take pictures with his cellphone, authorities said on Monday. Yaroslav Kolchin was spotted climbing to the top of one of the towers supporting the structure shortly after midday on Sunday. Once there, the 24-year-old walked around and took photographs with his iPhone before safely descending back down a cable support beam as a police aviation unit hovered nearby.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top