Prabowo Subianto, the former general who has refused to concede defeat in Indonesia’s presidential contest, was seeking voting to be redone in as many as six provinces with a legal challenge yesterday.
Subianto’s campaign has 10 tonnes of documentary evidence that alleges “massive” and systemic fraud in the July 9 vote, his brother and economic adviser Hashim Djojohadikusumo said in an interview yesterday.
If the constitutional suit fails, Subianto, 62, will concede and then “harass” the government with an active parliamentary opposition, although he will not plan to stand again for election in 2019, Hashim said.
Ex-general Subianto faced an evening deadline to challenge official results on July 22 that showed he lost to Jakarta Governor Joko Widodo by more than eight million votes.
Subianto is seeking a fair process, Hashim said, even as his stance has created uncertainty for voters and investors in Asia’s fifth-biggest economy.
“The main basis of the challenge is that the election commission has not acted even according to their own rules,” Hashim, a businessman and son of former Indonesian minister of finance Sumitro Djojohadikusumo, said at his office in Jakarta.
“I think we can prove it. We have an enormous amount of evidence,” he added.
Subianto’s legal team said he would file a suit with the Constitutional Court last night questioning procedures at about 59,000 polling stations. Subianto has called the poll “undemocratic.”
Subianto’s team asked police to investigate reports from his team’s poll witnesses that some ballot boxes were opened at the wrong time, said Mohamad Taufik, the head of the Subianto campaign team in Jakarta.
“We think this is criminal,” he said. “Our witnesses came and were surprised.”
The last-minute effort to swing the result will raise pressure on a court previously tainted by corruption to issue a decision rooted in the law. Failure to do so would be a setback for a young democracy still emerging from decades of rule by former Indonesian dictator Suharto and may risk street protests.
Widodo, known as Jokowi, has not commented on Subianto’s allegations, instead calling for national unity after the most divisive election since Indonesia returned to democracy when Suharto was ousted in 1998.
The campaign between Widodo, 53, and Subianto, a former special forces boss once married to Suharto’s daughter, split the country between those looking for a more liberal democracy and those nostalgic for a leader who projects strength.
The court would have about a week to decide whether to accept Subianto’s case, according to court legislation. If it chooses to do so, the judges would hear arguments next month and rule by Aug. 24, in time for the next president to take over on Oct. 20, when Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono’s second term ends. The court’s decision, which does not require a consensus, is final.
After the July 9 vote both candidates claimed victory based on unofficial quick counts — though all the counts by survey companies that agreed to be audited showed Jokowi winning — and called on supporters to guard against manipulation of the formal tally.
‘LIKE A CASSANDRA’: Chinese residents of Prato went into self-imposed lockdown and warned their Italian neighbors about what was coming, but were ignored In the storm of infection and death sweeping Italy, one big community stands out to health officials as remarkably unscathed — the 50,000 ethnic Chinese who live in the town of Prato. Two months ago, the country’s Chinese residents were the target of what Amnesty International described as shameful discrimination, the butt of insults and violent attacks by people who feared that they would spread the coronavirus through Italy. However, in the Tuscan town of Prato, home to Italy’s single biggest Chinese community, the opposite has been true. Once scapegoats, they are now held up by authorities as a model for early,
Reporters Without Borders has accused the Algerian government of taking advantage of the COVID-19 pandemic to “settle scores” with independent journalists, including those covering long-running anti-government protests. In a statement signed with Algerian non-governmental organizations, the watchdog on Thursday called for the immediate release of its correspondent, Khaled Drareni, who has been in pretrial detention since Sunday after being charged with inciting an unarmed gathering and endangering national unity. Drareni has been arrested several times for covering the “Hirak” anti-government protests held in the capital, Algiers, every Friday since February last year. Imprisoning people during a pandemic is “an act of physical endangerment,”
Vietnam has lodged an official protest with China following the sinking of a Vietnamese fishing boat that it said had been rammed by a Chinese maritime surveillance vessel near islands in the South China Sea. The Vietnamese fishing vessel, with eight fishermen onboard, was fishing near the Paracel Islands (Xisha Islands, 西沙群島) on Thursday when it was rammed and sunk by the Chinese vessel, the Vietnamese Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement posted on a government Web site yesterday. All of the fishermen were picked up by the Chinese vessel alive and were transferred to two other Vietnamese fishing vessels
DIVIDED YOUTH: There is a belief that overseas students see themselves as superior, which is compounded by perceptions of their extreme wealth and multiple nationalities Chinese students flying home from overseas to escape the COVID-19 pandemic face a frosty reception from sections of the public who view them as wealthy, spoiled — and potentially contaminated. The number of officially reported cases in China has dwindled dramatically over the last month, but the country is now taking drastic steps to try and stem a second wave of infections brought in from abroad. With most international flights canceled and nearly all foreigners barred from entering the country, the vast majority of returnees are Chinese nationals, including many students. The situation has exposed animosities over class and privilege in Chinese society,