Western and Arab nations vowed on Thursday to try to funnel more aid to desperate Syrians and “ramp up” support for moderate rebels, as the US backed claims that chemical arms had again been unleashed in the conflict.
The Friends of Syria group meeting in London also poured scorn on Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s plan to press ahead with presidential elections on June 3, despite the raging civil war.
As they met, a car bomb killed at least 43 people on the Syrian side of the border with Turkey.
Al-Assad’s “staged elections are a farce, they’re an insult; they are a fraud,” US Secretary of State John Kerry told reporters after the talks.
A joint statement from the 11 countries at the London talks described the election as “illegitimate” and “a parody of democracy,” urging the international community to reject the results.
Ministers from the Friends of Syria group — Britain, Egypt, France, Germany, Italy, Jordan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates and the US — were meeting for the first time since January.
“We have to redouble our efforts, all of us, in support of the moderate opposition in order to bring about a peaceful resolution that the people of Syria want,” Kerry said.
British Foreign Secretary William Hague added: “We are of course united in our disgust and anger at what is happening in Syria and the regime’s utter disregard for human life.”
Three years into the war which has claimed 150,000 lives, Hague said the group was determined “to step up our efforts to deliver humanitarian aid across borders and across lines, irrespective of the consent of the regime.”
The US, which has put up about US$1.7 billion in humanitarian aid, also voiced frustration at the bottleneck in getting food and supplies to desperate civilians.
“It is not getting to people. It’s going through one gate, one entryway, and it’s going through Damascus and/or controlled by the Assad regime. That’s unacceptable,” Kerry said. “We’re going to join with other countries in an effort to try to guarantee accountability through the UN in making that happen.”
The UN’s director of aid operations in Syria, John Ging, last week accused the Syrian government of blockading medical supplies bound for opposition areas, calling it an “abomination.”
With 3.5 million Syrians in areas that aid convoys are able to reach only sporadically and with more than 240,000 stuck in besieged communities, blockades have become a powerful tool by both sides.
Kerry also revealed that he had seen “raw data” which suggested chlorine had been used as a chemical weapon in Syria, supporting accusations made by France.
He insisted that if such use was proven there would be accountability before organizations such as the International Criminal Court.
French Minister of Foreign Affairs Laurent Fabius suggested the al-Assad regime had used chemical weapons, including chlorine, 14 times since agreeing last year to give up its arsenal.
In a diplomatic boost to the Syrian opposition, Britain announced it had upgraded the status of their London office to a mission “in recognition of the strength of our partnership” with the National Coalition headed by Ahmad Jarba.
Britain will also provide an extra ￡30 million (US$50 million) in “practical support,” Hague said.
Jarba took part in the London talks after attending a week of high-level meetings in the US.
In Washington, Jarba pleaded for anti-aircraft missiles to shoot down regime aircraft which are dropping deadly barrel bombs on Syrian civilians.
Kerry refused to be drawn on whether the US would meet Jarba’s request, but insisted that “every facet of what can be done is going to be ramped up.”
More blood was shed in Syria on Thursday, when a car bomb tore through a crowd at the Bab al-Salama border crossing with Turkey, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
At least 43 civilians were killed, including at least five women and three children.
Meanwhile, a reporter and a photographer for British daily the Times, Anthony Loyd and Jack Hill, were recovering in Turkey on Thursday after being kidnapped, shot and beaten while in Syria.
Also, five aid workers who were kidnapped in January were freed on Thursday, according to medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres.
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of