Sun, May 04, 2014 - Page 5 News List

S Korea halts recovery of ferry victims

HEAVY SEAS:Rough weather forced the suspension beginning on Friday, the same day that officials with the ferry’s operator were arrested amid a widening inquiry


The operation to recover bodies from the ferry that sank off South Korea last month has been suspended due to heavy seas, a spokesman said yesterday, amid concern that many of the missing may never be found.

Seventeen days after the 6,825-tonne Sewol capsized and sank, 228 people have been confirmed dead, with 74 still missing.

“Divers were unable to dive late Friday and early today due to fast currents and high waves whipped up by gusty winds,” South Korean Coast Guard spokesman Ko Myung-suk told journalists.

More than 100 divers were on standby, waiting for the waves to die down, he said. Dive teams have been working in challenging and sometimes hazardous conditions, officials said. They have to grope their way down guiding ropes to the sunken ship, laying on its side on the seabed at a depth of 40m.

South Korean Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries spokesman Park Seung-ki said bedding materials from the ship were found as far as 30km from the disaster site on Friday.

As days go by, personal belongings and debris from the ship have been spotted further and further away, fueling concerns that strong currents may have swept some bodies into the open sea.

As a precaution, recovery workers put rings of netting around the site days ago.

The relatives of those still missing are insisting that all the bodies be recovered before efforts begin to raise the sunken ferry.

The Sewol capsized on April 16 with 476 people on board — more than 300 of them from the same Danwon High School in Ansan, an industrial city just south of Seoul.

It is one of South Korea’s worst peacetime disasters but public anger and frustration has been amplified due to greed and irresponsibility being blamed for the poor handling of the catastrophe.

The captain and 14 of his crew have been arrested after being the first to leave the ship without helping all passengers to safety.

The Sewol’s regular captain, who was off duty on the day of the accident, has told prosecutors that the ferry operator — Chonghaejin Marine Co — “brushed aside” repeated warnings that the 20-year-old ship had stability issues following a renovation in 2012.

Two Chonghaejin officials were arrested on Friday on charges of having the ferry overloaded well beyond its legal limit.

The ferry owners have also become the focus of an ever-widening probe.

South Korea’s government has come under strong criticism over the initially slow rescue response, as well as lax safety standards and collusion between the industry and regulators, which were partly blamed for the scale of the disaster.

This story has been viewed 1503 times.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top