A hotline for fast-food workers to anonymously report allegations of illegal or unjust pay practices by their bosses is to be set up in New York, as part of an expanding national campaign by US workers.
Tish James, the New York City public advocate, said on Tuesday that her office would be establishing the whistleblower phone line while pushing for legislation to give US authorities greater powers to investigate what she and union campaigners call “wage theft.”
“It’s hard enough for low-wage workers to survive in this economy,” James said in a statement before a planned demonstration outside a McDonald’s in Manhattan. “The instances of wage theft in New York City and around the country are becoming too many to ignore.”
James said she would also urge authorities to report to the public on the number of complaints lodged against employers.
Last week, lawyers unveiled a coordinated series of lawsuits from workers who alleged that the fast-food giant and some of its franchise-owners were systematically stealing the wages of tens of thousands of employees.
Seven lawsuits, some requesting class-action status, were filed in California, Michigan and New York. They alleged that thousands of workers had their pay pushed below the federal minimum wage of US$7.25 an hour through a variety of practices.
Some workers were simply not paid for all the time they worked, the complaints alleged, while some had wages docked to pay for their uniforms and some were made to wait, unpaid, for several hours until being allowed to clock in when restaurants became busier.
James’ announcement was made soon after New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman announced that his office had settled a criminal action in the state over alleged wage theft by a McDonald’s franchise owner.
Richard Cisneros, the owner of seven McDonald’s outlets in Manhattan, will pay almost US$500,000 to more than 1,600 current and former employees to settle the case, said Schneiderman, whose Web site features a form for fast-food workers to lodge complaints with their bosses.
The action alleged that low-paid workers had their wages docked to make up cash register shortfalls, and that they were made to work unpaid before and after their shifts. It also alleged that they did not receive an extra hour of pay when they worked for ten hours consecutively, as is required under New York law, and were not given allowances for cleaning their uniforms.
“Like every other business in New York State, fast-food employers must follow our labor laws,” Schneiderman said in a statement. “Our lowest wage workers deserve the same protections of the law as everyone else.”
POINT-BLANK RANGE: Reporters and camera people from several outlets say police officers in Minneapolis had fired tear gas and rubber bullets directly at them Multiple journalists on the ground in Minnesota said they were teargassed and subject to other attacks by police on Saturday evening, a day after the widely condemned arrest of a CNN reporter live on air. Los Angeles Times journalist Molly Hennessy-Fiske, who was reporting outside the Fifth Precinct in Minneapolis, said she was with a group of about a dozen journalists when the Minnesota State Patrol “fired tear gas canisters on us at point blank range.” “I was saying: ‘Where do we go?’ They did not tell us where to go. They didn’t direct us. They just fired on us,” she said
For nearly a decade, the UN Security Council has been frequently paralyzed by Russia’s obstinacy over the Syrian crisis. Today, however, it is the US-China rivalry that has infected a growing array of issues, according to officials and diplomats. As recently as 2017, an understanding between Washington and Beijing allowed the UN on three occasions — involving separate sets of economic sanctions — to project international unity in the face of the North Korean nuclear threat. Three years later, the COVID-19 pandemic has seen a ferocious competition erupt between the UN’s two main contributors, prompting UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on May
HISTORIC FLIGHT: The astronauts named their capsule ‘Endeavour,’ after the space shuttle on which they both flew, while Elon Musk said he was overcome with emotion Two veteran NASA astronauts headed for the International Space Station (ISS) yesterday after Elon Musk’s SpaceX on Saturday became the first commercial company to launch a rocket carrying humans into orbit, ushering in a new era in space travel. SpaceX’s two-stage Falcon 9 rocket with astronauts Robert Behnken and Douglas Hurley aboard blasted off flawlessly in a cloud of bright orange flames and smoke from the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida, for a 19-hour voyage to the space station. “Let’s light this candle,” Hurley, the mission commander, told SpaceX mission control in Hawthorne, California, before liftoff at 3:22pm from NASA’s
INDIA Pride to be preserved The nation would not let its “pride be hurt” in its latest border flare-ups with China, but is determined to settle the dispute through talks, Minister of Defense Rajnath Singh said in a television interview late on Saturday. “Situations arise with China. It has happened before,” Singh said, adding that the government was striving to make sure “tension does not escalate.” The government has turned down US President Donald Trump’s offer to mediate, he said. IRAN Speaker says talks futile Newly elected Parliament Speaker Mohammad-Bagher Ghalibaf yesterday said that any negotiations with the US would be “futile.” The nation’s