NATO yesterday said several of its Web sites were targeted in a “significant” cyberattack that was claimed by Ukrainian hackers in what appeared to be the latest bout of virtual warfare linked to the country’s crisis.
NATO spokeswoman Oana Lungescu said on Twitter that the Web sites had been hit by “a significant DDoS [distributed denial of service] attack” that began on Saturday and continued into yesterday, but that it had had “no operational impact.”
Under DDoS attacks, hackers hijack multiple computers to send a flood of data to the target, crippling its computer system.
Lungescu said experts were working to restore normal function, and most services had been restored by yesterday afternoon, but the Web sites remained down for hours.
Lungescu did not say who was responsible for the attack, which was claimed by a Ukrainian hacker group called Cyber Berkut, the name given to the feared elite riot police involved in a bloody crackdown on protesters in Kiev.
In a statement on its Web site www.cyber-berkut.org, the group said it had targeted three NATO Web sites over what it claimed was the alliance’s interference in Ukraine and support of the “Kiev junta.”
“We will not allow the presence of NATO in our homeland,” said the statement, which could not be independently verified.
Ukraine has been shaken by turmoil that saw a street revolt oust pro-Russian president Viktor Yanukovych last month as anger exploded over his rejection of closer ties with the EU in favor of Moscow.
Moscow sparked anger after it sent its forces to occupy the majority Russian-speaking Black Sea peninsula of Crimea, where regional authorities declared independence and was to hold a referendum yesterday on whether to leave Ukraine and join Russia.
NATO and its members have spoken out strongly against the vote, which has escalated East-West tensions to their worst point since the Cold War.
The electronic attack is the latest of several that have seen Ukraine tensions hit cyberspace.
On March 8, British-based BAE Systems said dozens of computer networks in Ukraine had been infected by an aggressive new cyberweapon called Snake, which experts said was most likely the work of Russian hackers.
Additional reporting by Reuters
FRENCH AID: Paris has sent a navy ship and aircraft from Reunion Island with some pollution control equipment, but rough seas are spreading the oil spill The operator of a Japanese bulk carrier which ran aground off Mauritius in the Indian Ocean yesterday apologized for a major oil spill, which officials and environmentalists say is creating an ecological disaster, as police prepared to board the ship. The MV Wakashio, operated by Mitsui OSK Lines, struck the reef on Mauritius’ southeast coast on July 25. “We apologize profusely and deeply for the great trouble we have caused,” Mitsui OSK Lines executive vice president Akihiko Ono said at a news conference in Tokyo. The company would “do everything in their power to resolve the issue,” he said. At least 1,000 tonnes of
Three Micronesian sailors stranded on a remote Pacific island have been found alive and well after a rescue team spotted their giant SOS message written into the sand on a beach. Australian and US military aircraft found the three men on tiny Pikelot island, nearly 200km west of where they had set off. Rescuers said that the men were “in good condition” with no significant injuries. The men had been missing for three days after their 7m skiff ran out of fuel and strayed off course. Authorities in the US territory of Guam raised the alarm on Saturday after the men failed to complete
A cat that went missing on a family holiday on the shores of Loch Lomond, Scotland, has been identified 12 years later. Tortoiseshell-and-white Georgie spent October half term in 2008 with her owners at the Rowardennan campsite, but vanished as they were due to return home to Greater Manchester, England. After a search of the site the Davies family departed without Georgie, hoping the three-year-old microchipped feline would be located by someone. Over the intervening 12 years, she remained close to the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park site, being fed and cared for by campsite staff and holidaymakers. After the COVID-19 pandemic hit and lockdown
LIFELONG LOSS: Jiro Hamasumi, who was not quite born when an atomic bomb hit Hiroshima, lost his father and other relatives, but said he thinks about his father daily As Japan marks 75 years since the devastating attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the last generation of nuclear bomb survivors is working to ensure their message lives on after them. The “hibakusha” — literally “person affected by the bomb” — have for decades been a powerful voice calling for the abolition of nuclear weapons. There are an estimated 136,700 left, many of whom were infants or soon to be born at the time of the attacks. The average age of a survivor now is a little over 83, according to the Japanese Ministry of Health, lending an urgency as they share their testimonies