Mexican authorities on Friday finally served notice to vigilantes fighting a drug cartel in western Michoacan state that their illegal tactics will no longer be tolerated.
The warning came after months in which government troops and federal police tolerated thousands of assault rifle-wielding civilians breaking down doors, settling up roadblocks and taking over towns to oust the vicious Knights Templar cartel.
Civilians are not permitted to carry such weapons in Mexico, but police and soldiers have even carried out joint raids with the “self-defense” forces, who were initially well received by local residents tired of cartel extortion, kidnapping and murder.
“We are putting up the ‘stop’ sign” to the vigilantes, a federal official who was not authorized to be quoted by name said on Friday on condition of anonymity.
“We are reaching a turning point, a point of change,” the official said
The official said that when tens of thousands of federal forces were dispatched to Michoacan in May last year, they depended on the vigilantes to point out suspected drug cartel members.
Now, after months on the ground, military personnel have developed intelligence enabling them to capture or arrest several top cartel leaders.
“We are reaching a point at which we no longer need them,” the official said of the vigilantes.
The vigilantes, who rose up in February last year against the cartel’s systematic extortion of businesspeople, farmers and ranchers, soon grew to 20,000 fighters and chased the cartel out of much of the state.
The federal official said they may have been a victim of that success, fighting over the spoils of the cartel’s abandoned wealth.
The cartel had amassed an empire of businesses, farms and vehicles stolen or extorted from Michoacan residents.
The turning point came on Thursday after a top leader of the “self-defense” movement was charged in the murder of two members of a rival vigilante faction.
A day earlier, 28 vigilantes were arrested for breaking in to a cartel leader’s ranch and trying to take two dozen purebred horses.
Vigilante spokesman Estanislao Beltran denied that Wednesday’s ranch raid represented any kind of theft.
“They [the vigilantes] were trying to recover horses that had been stolen by the Templars,” Beltran said.
However, the federal official said the vigilantes “are going after the spoils of war” in such raids, which have been commonplace at cattle ranches, homes and orchards purportedly owned or occupied by cartel members.
The land and property takeovers have created divisions in the movement and among Michoacan residents, the federal official said, adding that they may have played a role in the murder of the two rival vigilantes last week, who were allegedly killed by members of Mora’s faction.
The official said local residents accuse Mora of demanding money in return for giving them back properties that the cartel had stolen from them.
Beltran, the vigilante spokesman, has acknowledged that some bad elements or even criminals may have joined the self-defense movement and that “later, we are going to have to clean ourselves up.”
However, he said the vigilantes had the courage to take on the cartel and said that the priority is defeating the remaining cartel leaders, now allegedly hiding in the mountains of southern Michoacan.
The vigilantes have acknowledged they take guns and vehicles from people they believe to be cartel supporters, and say they get voluntary donations from farmers, ranchers and business eager to recover their properties.
However, some businesspeople have been quoted in local media as saying the vigilantes are now asking them for fixed quotas to protect them from the remnants of the cartel.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting