Soldiers fought off Islamist insurgents, allegedly Boko Haram members, who attempted to free captured comrades from a military barracks in the northeastern Nigerian city of Maiduguri on Friday, the military said.
Witnesses reported more than two hours of gunfire and explosions, starting at about 7:15am, from the direction of the Giwa barracks, where the army has detained hundreds of Islamist insurgent suspects.
“Pockets of terrorists, apparently in a move to boost their depleted stock of fighters, this morning attacked a military location in Maiduguri with a view to freeing their colleagues who are being held in detention,” a military statement said.
It said the attack had been repelled, with heavy casualties among the assailants, while four soldiers had been wounded.
Security experts say the military often exaggerates its own successes and plays down its casualties and those of civilians.
Boko Haram is the biggest security threat in Africa’s top oil exporter and the continent’s second-biggest economy.
More than 2,000 people have been killed in Boko Haram violence in the past six months, security sources say.
Human rights groups have said previously that Giwa barracks has been used to illegally detain and torture suspects — allegations denied by the Nigerian military.
The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay said in Nigeria on Friday that rights abuses committed by the security forces are increasing support for Boko Haram.
Violence in recent months has mostly been confined to rural areas of the poor and undeveloped northeast.
Boko Haram has attacked 40 villages this year alone, displacing hundreds of thousands of people, the New York-based Human Rights Watch organization said in a report on Friday.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses