Returning to their destroyed village after a catastrophic typhoon that killed thousands in the Philippines last year, a weary band of Catholics vowed a lifelong sacrifice to thank God for saving them.
They had walked through the streets of their hometown for three consecutive days before the storm with icons in hand, while praying and asking the Lord to spare them from the looming disaster.
Although giant ocean surges that swept through their coastal village destroyed many homes, and some of the most powerful winds recorded on land tore roofs off others, all of the about 3,500 residents of Opong survived.
The devotees’ ensuing vow was to perform a religious procession similar to their pre-typhoon marches at least twice a week for the rest of their lives.
“We want to thank the Lord for giving us a second chance at life. We want to thank Him for giving us the strength of our faith,” Elsie Indi, a mother-of-four, who is one of the regular members of the procession, told reporters after a recent march.
Ten days after Typhoon Haiyan hit, AFP photographer Philippe Lopez took a dramatic photograph of Indi at the head of the Opong procession that came to symbolize the devotion, hope and resilience of many typhoon survivors.
The image won the Spot News category in the prestigious World Press Photograph Awards, and was named by Time magazine as one of the top 10 images last year.
Indi, 42, her invalid husband and four children fled their home just after dawn on Nov. 8 last year as knee-deep water rushed in, racing ahead of the torrent to a rice paddy at the base of a mountain about 1km away.
They, along with many other residents of Opong, sheltered in the muddy field for about six hours, waiting for the storm surges to recede into the Pacific Ocean and the intense rain to pass.
During that time, the typhoon killed or left missing about 8,000 people in towns and cities of the central Philippines near Opong, making it the country’s deadliest storm on record.
“Everyone in Opong survived, we can thank God for that,” Indi said.
During the most chaotic and desperate period immediately after the typhoon, some of the residents of Opong held their processions twice a day.
The procession, involving anywhere from a few people to more than 20, took more than an hour.
“After being saved, we had to make some sacrifices. The procession is one form of sacrifice,” said Virginia Piedad, 47, a primary school teacher who came up with the idea for the Opong community’s march.
Asked when the Opong residents would give up the procession, Piedad and Indi insisted they would continue their hour-long marches every Wednesday and Saturday with the same Jesus statues in their arms until they died.
Yet despite the relentless giving of thanks, life for Indi, and many others in Opong, often feels like an abyss of anxiety and exhaustion.
The iron-sheet roofing, windows and steel trusses of Indi’s cramped home were torn away or badly damaged during the storm and she has no means to replace them.
She estimates it would cost more than 150,000 pesos (US$3,300) to repair the house, an impossible amount when her work as a market vendor brings in most of her family’s only income.
Indi’s husband, Roel, has not worked for six years because of severe diabetes, while three of her children are still studying.
A fourth child, a 21-year-old son, earns about 200 pesos a day making concrete blocks for houses.
Indi said she had to borrow 15,000 pesos from a local lender to reopen her stall after Haiyan, with an interest rate of 33 percent over the term of the six-month loan adding to almost unbearable financial pressure.
“We are begging for help. We need money to rebuild our house,” Indi said as she stood at the entrance to their ruined home and cried.
Nevertheless, Indi insisted she was fortunate simply to be alive, and that was reason enough to continue with their religious procession.
“We are thankful ... and it gives us comfort,” she said.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘SUICIDE’: Media reports said Park Won-soon went missing on Thursday after a staff member filed a sexual harassment claim against him this week Seoul mayor Park Won-soon, viewed as a potential candidate for the 2022 presidential election, was found dead of an apparent suicide hours after he was reported missing, police said, adding that he was the subject of an undisclosed investigation. In a note he is thought to have left behind on his desk, Park offered his apologies. “I thank everyone who was with me in my life. I apologize to my family for only making them suffer from pain,” according to the note that was released by his office yesterday. Park, in his letter, asked to be cremated and have his remains spread
RISKY BUSINESS: The Chinese firm has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of 5G equipment not covered by US sanctions, but fears a wider ban could be announced in the UK Huawei Technologies Co believes it can supply 5G hardware unaffected by US sanctions to the UK for the next five years, sidestepping the expected conclusion of British emergency review on Tuesday. The company has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of kit, but fears a wider ban on its equipment is to be unveiled to placate rebel British Conservative Party lawmakers, who say that the Chinese supplier represents a national security risk. The British government on Friday said that it was “very likely” that British Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Oliver Dowden would make a statement to parliament on Tuesday