Ten years after living through the horror of the Madrid train bombings, which she blames for a miscarriage, Adeniria Moreira says she thinks of her unborn baby every day and struggles to leave her home.
She had just boarded a train at El Pozo, the hardest-hit of the four Madrid rail stations struck by backpack bombs filled with dynamite and shrapnel, when it was ripped apart by an explosion.
“There were body parts everywhere, an arm over here, a head over there,” said Moreira, 48, who wore a scarf tied tightly around her neck as she sat in the living room of her well-kept apartment in Vallecas, a working-class neighborhood in southern Madrid. “There were people with blood coming out of their noses, out of their mouths. There were people without any clothes, who had no shoes.”
The early morning blasts on March 11, 2004 — claimed by militants who said they had acted on al-Qaeda’s behalf over Spain’s role in the US-led invasion of Iraq — killed 191 people and injured 1,800 more.
A decade on, many survivors like Moreira continue to struggle with the psychological trauma of their ordeal.
“I can go weeks and weeks without leaving home,” said Moreira, a nurse’s aid by training who moved to Spain from Brazil 16 years ago.
She was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder after the attacks and now takes pills for anxiety and depression.
“I can’t walk between two parked cars, I’m afraid that there is a bomb inside and there will be an explosion,” she said.
Moreira, who was three months pregnant at the time, was not injured in the bombing and doctors gave her the all clear at the time.
However, three weeks later, she felt contractions and went to a hospital where she learned that her fetus had died.
“I was in a state of shock. My husband took it really badly, he cried, cried, cried. I was hospitalized for three days. It was very hard,” said Moreira, who believes the emotional upset of the bombings caused her pregnancy to end. “I think of the baby I lost every day.”
Since then, she has been interned in a psychiatric hospital five times and has struggled to hold down a job.
Moreira’s husband, who works as a bus driver, helps her raise their 11-year-old daughter. Their eldest daughter, who is 26, now lives in Brazil.
Eloy Moran, who lost vision in his left eye and hearing in both ears in the attacks, also had to stop working after the bombings.
He suffered serious head injuries when an explosion struck the train he was on just before it reached Madrid’s Atocha station, leaving the tracks strewn with bodies.
“I felt unbearable pressure in my head, like it was going to explode like a balloon,” said Moran, 65, who wore a plaid cap and black coat as he sat by a statue in memory of the bombing victims outside the station at Alcala de Henares where he boarded the train.
He spent two weeks in hospital and when he returned to work as an office administrator at the Ministry of the Interior he found he could not concentrate for long and had difficulty sleeping.
After two years, he reluctantly admitted that he could no longer work and accepted early retirement.
“It was really upsetting. I really liked my job. I felt like I had worked so hard to get where I was and it all went to the garbage,” he said.
“I fell into a deep depression that I could not get out of,” added Moran, who said he took pills for anxiety for years after the attacks and has never again boarded a commuter train.
Spanish courts convicted 18 people over the bombings, with two top suspects each sentenced to nearly 43,000 years. Seven of the chief suspects killed themselves weeks after the attack as police closed in.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting