Venezuelan activists were again to march yesterday against the country’s chronic food shortage, one of the major grievances in a wave of protests shadowing Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro’s government.
At least 20 people have now died in Venezuela since protests first erupted a month ago, giving Maduro his biggest test since succeeding late Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez almost a year ago.
The new rally was called by the country’s most prominent opposition leader, two-time presidential election runner-up Miranda State Governor Henrique Capriles, who lost to Maduro by a whisker in last year’s April election.
Hours before the march, Capriles charged on Twitter that Maduro wanted to “put obstacles” against the demonstration.
“Our people have the right to protest and we will do it in peace,” he said.
Some of the demonstrations have drawn tens of thousands of people and Capriles’ participation could attract a large crowd.
The rally, which coincides with International Women’s Day, will include a march by stay-at-home moms who will bang empty pots — a traditional form of protest across Latin America.
Venezuela’s protest movement has been marked by regular clashes between security forces and radical protesters. Dozens of claims of police abuse have been made, while Capriles has accused Maduro of promoting a “confrontation of people against people” after the socialist leader called on his followers to “enforce order.”
“Little candle that is lit, little candle that we put out with our people,” Maduro said this week.
The violence claimed two more lives on Thursday when a man who tried to dismantle an opposition barricade in Caracas and a riot police officer were shot dead.
The protests began early last month as a student movement, but it has since been joined by opposition figures, all fed up with Venezuela’s runaway murder rate, chronic food shortages and high inflation of 56 percent.
Yet the opposition has been divided about which tactics to employ. The former mayor of Caracas’ upscale Chacao District, Leopoldo Lopez, spearheaded a strategy called “the exit” to push for Maduro’s resignation.
Lopez gave himself up to police in dramatic fashion on Feb. 18 in front of thousands of supporters after the authorities accused him of inciting violence.
Capriles has distanced himself from “the exit” movement, warning that “the conditions are not there to pressure for the government’s exit.”
The Miranda governor, who officially lost to Maduro by 1.5 percentage points last year, has said that to succeed, the protests need the support of the poorer neighborhoods that formed Chavez’s base of power and now comprise Maduro’s.
Analysts say that while Maduro is facing the biggest challenge of his young presidency, his government is sturdy enough to withstand the pressure.
‘CONFESSED’: A court in Beijing said that former CCP member Ren Zhiqiang abused his power at a state firm and embezzled almost US$7.14 million of public funds A Chinese tycoon who called Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) a clown and criticized his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic was yesterday jailed for 18 years for corruption, bribery and embezzlement of public funds. Ren Zhiqiang (任志強) — once among the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) inner circle — disappeared from the public eye in March, shortly after penning an essay that lambasted Xi’s pandemic response. His outspokenness had earned the former chairman of state-owned property developer Huayuan Group the nickname “Big Cannon.” Yesterday’s verdict said that Ren embezzled almost 50 million yuan (US$7.4 million) of public funds and accepted bribes worth 1.25 million
OFF BORDER ISLAND: The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel wearing a life jacket and leaving behind his shoes, indicating an intentional move, Seoul said North Korean soldiers shot dead a suspected South Korean defector at sea and burned his body as a COVID-19 precaution after he was interrogated in the water over several hours, Seoul military officials said yesterday. It is the first killing of a South Korean citizen by North Korean forces for a decade, and comes with Pyongyang at high alert over the COVID-19 pandemic and inter-Korean relations at a standstill. The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel near the western border island of Yeonpyeong on Monday, the official said. More than 24 hours later, North Korean forces located him in their waters and
The scarcity of commercial flights landing at Sydney Airport has been a disaster for airlines and workers, but for hobby pilots the COVID-19 pandemic has provided the opportunity of a lifetime. The quieter-than-usual runways mean that private pilots have been given the chance to land at the international airport for the first time. When Sydney Flight College club captain Tim Lindley put out a call, he received an overwhelming response. He eventually organized for 14 light aircraft to fly into Sydney airport on Sunday. “For a lot of the pilots involved, including myself, it was a childhood dream to land in a big
China on Thursday lashed out at the US at a high-level UN meeting over its criticism on the COVID-19 pandemic, with its envoy declaring, “Enough is enough.” Two days after US President Donald Trump used his annual address to the General Assembly to attack China’s record, US Ambassador to the UN Kelly Craft, also took an outraged tone — after which her Chinese counterpart showed palpable anger. “I must say, enough is enough. You have created enough troubles for the world already,” Chinese Ambassador to the UN Zhang Jun (張軍) told a Security Council meeting on global governance attended through videoconference