A female student and a young supermarket worker were the latest fatalities from Venezuela’s political unrest as the death toll from 10 days of violence rose on Saturday to at least eight.
Both sides are mourning supporters killed in the worst turmoil since Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro narrowly won an election in April last year to replace former Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez.
The government blames “fascist groups” seeking a coup like the one that briefly ousted Chavez 12 years ago, while the opposition is accusing troops and pro-Maduro militants of attacking peaceful demonstrators.
Opposition officials and local media in central Carabobo state said a 23-year-old student, Geraldine Moreno, died in hospital on Saturday after being shot in the face with rubber bullets as security forces broke up a protest there on Feb. 19.
“They told us there was nothing more they could do,” Moreno’s distraught mother, Rosa Orozco, told a local paper.
Officials in the capital, Caracas, said a 29-year-old man, Santiago Enrique Pedroza, was killed late on Friday when he rode his motorcycle into a cable strung across a main road in the eastern, middle-class neighborhood of Horizonte.
Anti-government protesters have repeatedly blocked streets in the area with trash, which they sometimes set on fire. Police and National Guard troops have often used teargas to scatter demonstrators before clearing away the obstacles.
“He was on his way home, he couldn’t see the cable because of the darkness, and it slit his throat,” Venezuelan Minister of the Interior Miguel Rodriguez Torres told state television. “This was a young, hard-working man who had nothing to do with the insanity unleashed by these fascist right-wing murderers.”
Five people have died from gunshot wounds, beginning on Feb. 12 when two opposition supporters and a pro-government loyalist were shot after a peaceful opposition protest in central Caracas degenerated into running battles between riot police and hooded demonstrators.
Two other people were shot dead at protests around the country in the following days and a sixth was run over by a car during a melee.
At dusk on Saturday, a couple of hundred opposition supporters hurled stones at police who fired back teargas near east Caracas’ Plaza Altamira, a hotbed of opposition activism that has seen similar scuffles most nights in the past week.
The focus for the most serious trouble had been in the western states of Tachira and Merida, where the government has vowed to take “special measures” to restore order.
Residents said the situation in general was calmer than of late, but an opposition official said four people were hurt when government supporters on motorbikes attacked an opposition march in San Cristobal, capital of Tachira state.
In the center of the capital and in the provincial cities of Lara, Aragua and Trujillo, tens of thousands of government supporters decked out in mostly Socialist red marched on Saturday at festive rallies dubbed “Women for Peace.”
“We don’t want any more deaths,” Venezuelan Minister for Women and Gender Equality Andreina Tarazon said at the demonstration in Caracas.
“The people have decided to be free, and like a mother defends her child, that’s how we’ll defend the fatherland,” she added.
Meanwhile in Caracas, just a few blocks from where the motorcyclist died overnight, several thousand opposition supporters gathered in the El Marques neighborhood to hear speeches and chant slogans.
“We’re against violence. This a peaceful demonstration, 100 percent,” said student Juan Perez, 25.
Nearby, some opposition protesters waved large photographs of suspected state security agents captured on video appearing to fire pistols at demonstrators who were hurling stones at police after the Feb. 12 march.
Speaking at a news conference late on Friday, Maduro said he would not defend anyone shooting at protesters.
“After I saw the photos I had them detained,” he said, referring to the agents, widely believed to be members of the national intelligence service, Sebin.
“If any of them was involved in someone being wounded by a bullet, or in one of the deaths, they will pay with prison. I won’t protect anyone who shoots anyone else at a demonstration,” he said.
Maduro has publicly criticized Sebin for having agents on the streets, and on Tuesday last week he replaced its director.
Dutch scientists have found the coronavirus in a city’s wastewater before COVID-19 cases were reported, demonstrating a novel early warning system for the disease. SARS-CoV-2 — the virus that causes COVID-19 — is often excreted in an infected person’s stool. Although it is unlikely that sewage will become an important route of transmission, the pathogen’s increasing circulation in communities would increase the amount of it flowing into sewer systems, Gertjan Medema and colleagues at the KWR Water Research Institute in Nieuwegein said on Monday. They detected genetic material from the coronavirus at a wastewater treatment plant in Amersfoort on March 5, before
A coronavirus-free tropical island nestled in the northern Pacific might seem the perfect place to ride out a pandemic, but residents on Palau said that life right now is far from idyllic. The microstate of 18,000 people is among a dwindling number of places on Earth that still report zero cases of COVID-19 as figures mount daily elsewhere. The disparate group also includes Samoa, Turkmenistan, North Korea and bases on the frozen continent of Antarctica. A dot in the ocean hundreds of kilometers from its nearest neighbors, Palau is surrounded by the vast Pacific Ocean, which has acted as a buffer against the
TRUE TOLL? Some Chinese are skeptical about official data, particularly given the overwhelmed medical system and initial attempts to cover up the outbreak The long lines and stacks of urns greeting family members of the dead at funeral homes in Wuhan, China, are spurring questions about the true scale of casualties at the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak, renewing pressure on a Chinese government struggling to control its containment narrative. The families of those who succumbed to the coronavirus in the city, where the disease first emerged, were allowed to pick up their cremated ashes at eight funeral homes last week. As they did, photographs circulated on Chinese social media of thousands of urns being ferried in. Outside one funeral home, trucks shipped in about 2,500
‘LIKE A CASSANDRA’: Chinese residents of Prato went into self-imposed lockdown and warned their Italian neighbors about what was coming, but were ignored In the storm of infection and death sweeping Italy, one big community stands out to health officials as remarkably unscathed — the 50,000 ethnic Chinese who live in the town of Prato. Two months ago, the country’s Chinese residents were the target of what Amnesty International described as shameful discrimination, the butt of insults and violent attacks by people who feared that they would spread the coronavirus through Italy. However, in the Tuscan town of Prato, home to Italy’s single biggest Chinese community, the opposite has been true. Once scapegoats, they are now held up by authorities as a model for early,