A Mapuche Indian leader who became the face of Chile’s environmental movement was found floating in a reservoir she spent a decade trying to prevent from being created.
Authorities said on Wednesday that they were awaiting autopsy results, although the death appeared accidental.
While there was no official cause of death for Nicolesa Quintreman, a 73-year-old who was nearly blind, prosecutor Carlos Diaz said that “she apparently slipped, fell into the lake and died.”
“Police informed me that from first glance and based on their expertise, the cadaver showed no signs of injury attributable to third persons,” Diaz told Radio Bio Bio.
Quintreman was found on Tuesday, a day after she went missing. Forensic pathologists returned the body to her family the following day in preparation for a funeral, which is to be held todat. A day of mourning was declared in the community of Alto Biobio.
Along with her sister, Berta, Quintreman became a national figure in Chile during protests against the construction of a hydroelectric dam on tribal land in the forested mountains of the country’s south.
They led a public fight against the European power company Endesa at a time when Chile’s environmental enforcement was lax and its indigenous protection law was not closely followed.
“I’m going to tell it like it is. My sister fell into the lake, she won’t ever come back,” Berta Quintreman said, her voice breaking, in a radio interview.
Hundreds of other families supported the women initially, but gradually gave in to the pressure and traded their land for other properties beyond the flood zone. Finally, Nicolesa Quintreman also traded her small plot in 2002 for an undisclosed sum and a larger property 15km away.
The project authorized by the center-left government of Chilean President Eduardo Frei Ruiz-Tagble then flooded the Mapuches’ valley, generating more of the electricity Chile needs to power a growing economy.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘SUICIDE’: Media reports said Park Won-soon went missing on Thursday after a staff member filed a sexual harassment claim against him this week Seoul mayor Park Won-soon, viewed as a potential candidate for the 2022 presidential election, was found dead of an apparent suicide hours after he was reported missing, police said, adding that he was the subject of an undisclosed investigation. In a note he is thought to have left behind on his desk, Park offered his apologies. “I thank everyone who was with me in my life. I apologize to my family for only making them suffer from pain,” according to the note that was released by his office yesterday. Park, in his letter, asked to be cremated and have his remains spread
RISKY BUSINESS: The Chinese firm has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of 5G equipment not covered by US sanctions, but fears a wider ban could be announced in the UK Huawei Technologies Co believes it can supply 5G hardware unaffected by US sanctions to the UK for the next five years, sidestepping the expected conclusion of British emergency review on Tuesday. The company has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of kit, but fears a wider ban on its equipment is to be unveiled to placate rebel British Conservative Party lawmakers, who say that the Chinese supplier represents a national security risk. The British government on Friday said that it was “very likely” that British Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Oliver Dowden would make a statement to parliament on Tuesday