The death toll from a 10-day Syrian regime air offensive on Aleppo rebels passed 400 on Wednesday, as Pope Francis called on Christmas Day for aid access to the war-torn country.
However, even as the EU and Arab League condemned the campaign in Syria’s second city, a Russian company signed a major energy exploration deal with the Damascus government.
Aleppo has been divided into regime and rebel-held enclaves since a massive opposition offensive in the northern city in July last year. The regime has been bombarding the rebel-held areas using TNT-packed barrels since Dec. 15, in an offensive the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said has left 410 people dead, including 117 children, as of Tuesday night. Also among those killed were 34 women, 30 rebel fighters and nine jihadists.
The Britain-based Observatory, which uses a network of contacts inside Syria to track the conflict, said the air force pressed the assault into an 11th day on Wednesday.
It said later that mortar fire killed six people and wounded 15 in regime-controlled neighborhoods of Aleppo, including Midan and Sulamaniyeh.
Human Rights Watch has labeled as “unlawful” the relentless aerial campaign by President Bashar al-Assad’s regime, especially the use of the massively destructive barrel bombs in civilian areas. The United States has also condemned the assault, and on Wednesday the Arab League and the EU joined the chorus of criticism.
“The High Representative [for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Catherine Ashton] is deeply concerned with reports of an escalating bombing campaign,” the EU said. “She condemns the unabated use of air strikes by the Syrian government on civilian areas.”
Arab League chief Nabil al-Arabi called on “the Syrian army to stop the air bombings” of Aleppo, condemning the killing of “hundreds of innocent civilians.” Arabi also called on the UN Security Council “to take responsibility” to end the conflict.
The opposition National Coalition has said it will boycott a peace conference slated for January if the Aleppo bombing does not cease.
A security source in Damascus has defended the campaign as necessary to “save Aleppo.”
“We do not target any area unless we are 100 percent sure that the ones there are terrorists,” the source said, using the regime term for rebels. “The bodies you see on television are the bodies of terrorists and mercenaries, most of whom traveled into Syria from abroad.”
Syria hit back at the US on Tuesday, describing it as a “one-eyed pirate” for condemning the assault but “ignoring the crimes committed by the terrorists.”
In his first Christmas address, Pope Francis urged peace in Syria, saying “too many lives have been shattered ... fueling hatred and vengeance.”
“Let us continue to ask the Lord to spare the beloved Syrian people further suffering, and to enable the parties in conflict to put an end to all violence and guarantee access to humanitarian aid,” he said.
In a landmark deal on Wednesday, the Syrian government and rebel forces in a besieged town near Damascus agreed on a truce to allow much-needed aid supplies to residents trapped in the Moadamiyet al-Sham area.
“A truce came into force on Wednesday, and the people have accepted as a gesture of goodwill to fly the regime flag over the town’s water towers,” Abu Malek of the town’s opposition council said.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting