A militant Islamist organization has said last month’s deadly car crash in Beijing’s Tiananmen Square was a “jihadi operation,” and predicted more violence, according to the US-based monitoring group SITE.
A video posted online by the Turkestan Islamic Party showed the organization’s leader Abdullah Mansour speaking in Uighur, said the Washington-based SITE Intelligence Group, which monitors jihadist forums.
According to Chinese police, three Xinjiang Uighurs drove a car loaded with petrol canisters into the gate of the Forbidden City on Oct. 28.
The incident left two people dead, besides the three in the car, and 40 injured.
In an eight-minute message, Mansour, his face obscured, described whose who carried out the attack as “mujahideen,” SITE said.
He warned that Uighur fighters would target the Great Hall of the People on Tiananmen Square, where the Chinese Communist Party holds its meetings.
Mansour was quoted as saying: “Chinese unbelievers, know that you have been fooling East Turkestan for the past 60 years, but now they have awakened. The people have learned who is the real enemy and they returned to their own religion. They learned the lesson.”
It was unclear if the video posted online includes an explicit claim of responsibility, and there has been no mention of it in Chinese state media.
Some security analysts believe the Turkestan Islamic Party is the parent of the East Turkestan Independence Movement (ETIM), a group that China and the US have placed on terror lists. Others say both names refer to the same group.
China’s top security official recently said that ETIM was the “behind-the-scenes” supporter of last month’s fatal attack in the symbolic heart of the Chinese state.
The Xinjiang region in China’s far west is home to the mainly Muslim Uighur ethnic group, many of whom call it East Turkestan.
Beijing has pointed to violent incidents in Xinjiang as evidence of rising extremism among the Uighur ethnic minority.
However, information in the region is tightly controlled, and Uighur organizations complain of cultural and religious repression.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘SUICIDE’: Media reports said Park Won-soon went missing on Thursday after a staff member filed a sexual harassment claim against him this week Seoul mayor Park Won-soon, viewed as a potential candidate for the 2022 presidential election, was found dead of an apparent suicide hours after he was reported missing, police said, adding that he was the subject of an undisclosed investigation. In a note he is thought to have left behind on his desk, Park offered his apologies. “I thank everyone who was with me in my life. I apologize to my family for only making them suffer from pain,” according to the note that was released by his office yesterday. Park, in his letter, asked to be cremated and have his remains spread
RISKY BUSINESS: The Chinese firm has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of 5G equipment not covered by US sanctions, but fears a wider ban could be announced in the UK Huawei Technologies Co believes it can supply 5G hardware unaffected by US sanctions to the UK for the next five years, sidestepping the expected conclusion of British emergency review on Tuesday. The company has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of kit, but fears a wider ban on its equipment is to be unveiled to placate rebel British Conservative Party lawmakers, who say that the Chinese supplier represents a national security risk. The British government on Friday said that it was “very likely” that British Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Oliver Dowden would make a statement to parliament on Tuesday