Libya’s deputy intelligence boss Mustafa Nuh was freed by his abductors yesterday, one day after they seized him near Tripoli airport, a source in the intelligence services said.
“Nuh was freed today,” the source said on condition of anonymity, without giving further details.
On Sunday, private television channel al-Naba had quoted a witness who escaped the abduction as describing the incident.
Former rebel commander Ala Abu Hafess told al-Naba he was in a car with Nuh when they were ambushed as they left the airport. Gunmen forced them out of their car and into another vehicle, Abu Hafess said, adding that he was able to flee by jumping out of the car.
“I ran. They opened fire at me but didn’t hit me,” he said.
The abduction of Nuh, who is originally from the western coastal city of Misrata, came amid high tensions between armed groups from his hometown and rival groups in Tripoli.
More than 40 people have been killed and hundreds wounded since Friday last week when residents of the capital rose up against the continued presence in the city of a Misrata militia.
The violence left 43 people dead and more than 450 wounded, the health ministry said.
Community leaders, officials and ex-rebel commanders from Misrata issued a statement late on Sunday urging militias from the city to leave Tripoli within 72 hours.
The statement suggested the clashes resulted from a plan to “undermine [Misrata’s] image and show it as if it were the only obstacle to the construction of the state.”
Dozens of soldiers and armored vehicles were deployed yesterday in Tripoli, a correspondent and witnesses said.
“A number of units of the national army are about to enter the city of Tripoli from several areas in order to secure it,” the government said in a statement.
Meanwhile, the military governor of Benghazi yesterday escaped an assassination attempt that killed a member of his entourage and seriously wounded another, a security official said.
“The motorcade of Colonel Abdallah al-Saati, head of the joint security room and military governor of Benghazi, was attacked as he passed through the al-Hadeq area, leaving one dead and one seriously wounded from his entourage,” security forces spokesman Colonel Abdallah al-Zaidi said.
Benghazi’s joint security room is a body grouping all the different security bodies in the city.
“Explosives experts are combing the neighbourhood to determine how the convoy was attacked and the amount of explosives used,” Zaidi said.
‘CONFESSED’: A court in Beijing said that former CCP member Ren Zhiqiang abused his power at a state firm and embezzled almost US$7.14 million of public funds A Chinese tycoon who called Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) a clown and criticized his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic was yesterday jailed for 18 years for corruption, bribery and embezzlement of public funds. Ren Zhiqiang (任志強) — once among the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) inner circle — disappeared from the public eye in March, shortly after penning an essay that lambasted Xi’s pandemic response. His outspokenness had earned the former chairman of state-owned property developer Huayuan Group the nickname “Big Cannon.” Yesterday’s verdict said that Ren embezzled almost 50 million yuan (US$7.4 million) of public funds and accepted bribes worth 1.25 million
AUSTRALIAN SITE: China has had a contract with SSC’s Yatharagga station since at least 2011, but the last time it used it was in June 2013. No final date has been given China would lose access to a strategic space tracking station in Western Australia when its contract expires, the facility’s owners said, a decision that cuts into Beijing’s expanding space exploration and navigational capabilities in the Pacific region. The Swedish Space Corp (SSC) has had a contract allowing Beijing access to the satellite antenna at the station since at least 2011. The station is located next to an SSC satellite station primarily used by the US and its agencies, including NASA. The Swedish state-owned company said it would not enter into any new contracts at the Australian site to support Chinese customers after
OFF BORDER ISLAND: The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel wearing a life jacket and leaving behind his shoes, indicating an intentional move, Seoul said North Korean soldiers shot dead a suspected South Korean defector at sea and burned his body as a COVID-19 precaution after he was interrogated in the water over several hours, Seoul military officials said yesterday. It is the first killing of a South Korean citizen by North Korean forces for a decade, and comes with Pyongyang at high alert over the COVID-19 pandemic and inter-Korean relations at a standstill. The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel near the western border island of Yeonpyeong on Monday, the official said. More than 24 hours later, North Korean forces located him in their waters and
The scarcity of commercial flights landing at Sydney Airport has been a disaster for airlines and workers, but for hobby pilots the COVID-19 pandemic has provided the opportunity of a lifetime. The quieter-than-usual runways mean that private pilots have been given the chance to land at the international airport for the first time. When Sydney Flight College club captain Tim Lindley put out a call, he received an overwhelming response. He eventually organized for 14 light aircraft to fly into Sydney airport on Sunday. “For a lot of the pilots involved, including myself, it was a childhood dream to land in a big