Abuja warns on Goa killing
Nigeria told New Delhi on Tuesday that it feared for the safety of its nationals in Goa State after one of its citizens was slain and a local legislator compared Nigerians to “cancer.” A Nigerian man was stabbed to death last week in a murder that police blame on rivalry between local and Nigerian drug traffickers. The Nigerian High Commission called the death a “cold-blooded” killing. Local reports say the Nigerian was hacked to death by a group of Goan drug traffickers, while five other Nigerians were stabbed. Goan police arrested 53 Nigerians last week after about 200 of them staged a protest against the killing, chasing a police hearse carrying the victim’s corpse and putting the body on the road. After the demonstration, Chief Minister of Goa Manohar Parrikar asked police to track down Nigerians living illegally so they could be deported and a local minister stirred more controversy by saying: “Nigerians are like cancer.” On Monday, a commission official warned of repercussions against Indians living in Nigeria if Goa did not stop “evicting Nigerians” and failed to arrest the killers.
Super typhoon looms closer
The government evacuated coastal areas and put emergency workers on alert yesterday as a storm expected to grow into a super typhoon headed toward central islands still recovering from a magnitude 7.2 earthquake that hit last month. Typhoon Haiyan, with gusts of up to 185kph, was moving over the sea at 30kph and may make landfall at mid-day tomorrow in the central islands of Samar and Leyte, Secretary of Science and Technology Mario Montejo said. “We are advising the people to secure their homes because we are expecting a powerful typhoon, a super typhoon,” Montejo said. “It’s still in the Pacific, but it has gained speed and may enter our area of responsibility by tomorrow [today].” Officials in the central Cebu, Bohol and Albay areas have closed schools, prepared emergency shelters and food and put emergency workers on alert.
Militants abduct workers
Abu Sayyaf militants have abducted two employees of a telecommunications company in Patikul Town in Sulu province, the latest captives by a ransom-seeking group that still holds other hostages, including two European tourists, officials said yesterday. Marine Colonel Jose Cenabre said three men were traveling on motorcycles after inspecting a cellphone transmission facility when they were stopped by about 10 Abu Sayyaf gunmen on Tuesday. One of the three managed to escape while they were being dragged into the jungle. Marines looking for the gunmen and their victims later took into custody a suspected Abu Sayyaf militant for questioning, Cenabre said by telephone from Sulu, a predominantly Muslim province about 950km south of Manila.
Minister tells Tehran to tweet
Minister of Culture Ali Jannati is urging authorities to unblock social media sites that are widely used by government figures but remain officially banned, the Islamic Republic News Agency reported on Tuesday. The appeal reflects another point of tension between the moderate-leaning government of President Hassan Rouhani and hardliners. Rouhani does not have the authority to make decisions such as freeing social media, which is seen as an internal security matter and under the sway of groups such as the Revolutionary Guard. The report quotes Jannati as saying all social networks should be accessible.