Four Frenchmen held captive for three years by an al-Qaeda offshoot in North Africa flew home to their families yesterday, as sources said at least 20 million euros (US$27.5) had been paid in ransom.
The four men, who were kidnapped by al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) in northern Niger in 2010, flew into the Villacoublay military airport near Paris, where they were met by their families and French President Francois Hollande.
A source close to the Nigerien negotiating team that secured the hostages’ release said yesterday that, despite French assurances to the contrary, a ransom had been paid.
“Between 20 and 25 million euros was paid to obtain the release of the French hostages,” the source said, adding that the money included payments to the hostage-takers and intermediaries.
Le Monde also quoted a French source close to the negotiations as saying more than 20 million euros had been paid for their release.
The French government has denied paying any ransom, with French Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian insisting yesterday: “France has had the same policy for three years. We do not pay.”
The four ex-hostages had left Niger on a government plane earlier in the day. They appeared relaxed and had shaved or trimmed the thick beards they were wearing when they were released.
The four men appeared thin, but otherwise in good health, a reporter at the scene said.
Hollande had announced their release on Tuesday, after what he called “three years of suffering for the families who lived through a nightmare.”
He thanked Nigerien President Mahamadou Issoufou for helping to secure the release of the four men.
French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius, who flew back with the hostages, said before takeoff that the men had been freed in neighboring Mali, and were in “very good shape.”
“They have been hostages for three years and the nightmare is finally over,” he said.
In a brief remark at the airport in Niger, one of the hostages, Thierry Dol, 32, said: “It was very difficult but it was the test of a lifetime.”
Francoise Larribe, who was kidnapped along with her husband, Daniel, before she was freed in February 2011, said on learning of her husband’s release: “It’s an emotional wave, a tsunami.”
“I have never lost hope, even though there were moments of dejection, fear and anguish,” she said.
Dol, Larribe, Pierre Legrand and Marc Feret were kidnapped on Sept. 16, 2010, from a uranium mining compound in Arlit, north-central Niger. They worked for French nuclear giant Areva and construction group Vinci.
Legrand’s mother Pascale Robert told BFMTV: “Now we’re waiting for them to physically return, to see them, to touch them.”
The news of their release came days after regional security sources in the town of Gao in Mali reported the presence of envoys in the Sahel “to speed up negotiations towards freeing the French hostages.” France had officially denied sending envoys.
According to a high-ranking Nigerien source, the four were taken to Niamey by a helicopter from Anefis in northeastern Mali near the Algerian border.
That was the site of final negotiations which included Mohamed Akotey, a former Tuareg rebel who is a senior executive with an Areva subsidiary in Niger.
The hostages were apparently held in different locations to prevent them being freed in any French assault, and were brought together just days before the release.