Thu, Oct 17, 2013 - Page 6 News List

Typhoon kills at least 17 in Japan, destroys homes

ISLAND MAYHEM:Izu Oshima Island was hardest hit yesterday, while the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant released radioactive rainwater as a precaution


A typhoon caused deadly mudslides that buried people and destroyed homes on a Japanese island yesterday before sweeping up the Pacific coast, grounding hundreds of flights and disrupting Tokyo’s transportation during the morning rush. At least 17 deaths were reported and nearly 50 people were missing.

Hardest hit from Typhoon Wipha was Izu Oshima Island, which is about 120km south of Tokyo. Rescuers found 16 bodies, most of them buried by mudslides, police and town officials said. Dozens of homes were destroyed and about 45 people were missing.

A woman from Tokyo died after falling into a river and being washed 10km downriver to Yokohama, police said. Two sixth-grade boys and another person were missing on Japan’s main island, Honshu, the Fire and Disaster Management Agency said.

More than 350 homes were damaged or destroyed, including 283 on Izu Oshima, it said.

The typhoon, which stayed offshore in the Pacific, had sustained winds of 126kph with gusts up to 180kph, before it was downgraded to a tropical storm yesterday evening. The storm was moving northeast, off the northern Japanese island of Hokkaido.

More than 800mm of rain fell on Izu Oshima during a 24-hour period ending yesterday morning, the most since record-keeping began in 1991.

The rainfall was very heavy before dawn, the kind in which “you can’t see anything or hear anything,” Japan Meteorological Agency official Yoshiaki Yano said.

Izu Oshima is the largest island in the Izu chain southwest of Tokyo. About 8,200 people live on the island, which is accessible by ferry from Tokyo.

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, speaking to parliament yesterday, vowed to do the utmost to rescue the missing and support the survivors, while trying to restore infrastructure and public services as quickly as possible. Japanese troops were deployed to the island, as well as Tokyo’s “hyper-rescue” police with rescue dogs.

As a precaution, the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant, crippled by the 2011 earthquake and tsunami, released tonnes of rainwater that was being held behind protective barriers around storage tanks for radioactive water.

Tokyo Electric Power Co, the plant’s operator, said only water below an allowable level of radioactivity was released, which Japan’s Nuclear Regulation Authority allowed on Tuesday. During an earlier typhoon last month, rainwater spilled out before it could be tested.

This story has been viewed 1472 times.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top