The Tunisian political crisis prompted by the assassination of a leading opposition figure deepened on Saturday after the main labor union said talks with the Islamist-led government had failed, casting doubt on the country’s ability to emerge from more than two years of turmoil.
Houcine Abassi, leader of the Tunisian General Labor Union, known by its French acronym UGTT, which represents 500,000 workers, said the government was stalling in response to demands that it resign and make way for an interim, non-partisan replacement.
The union, opposition, lawyers and human rights advocates say the government’s inability to ensure security led to the killings of two opposition figures in February and July.
The ruling Ennahda Party said it was “astonished” at Saturday’s statement.
The death of Mohammed Brahmi, who was gunned down in front of his family on July 25, plunged Tunisia into its current crisis, as dozens of opposition lawmakers quit, freezing efforts to write a new constitution.
A series of street protests and political paralysis have crippled the country.
Tunisia’s protesters, inspired by the self-immolation of a fruit seller, overthrew their decades-old authoritarian government in January 2011.
Those protests spread through the Arab world, including to Egypt, Syria and neighboring Libya.
Tunisia has so far fared better than those countries, setting an example for political cooperation when a coalition was formed between the Islamist Ennahda Party and two secular parties.
However, the troubled coalition government has failed to restore the economy or control religious extremists, which it blames for the two assassinations of opposition figures killed by the same gun.
The killers remain at large.
The government’s immediate task — writing a constitution and paving the way for new elections — was newly called into question by Saturday’s announcement.
In a statement late on Saturday, Ennahda said Tunisia was in dire need of a political truce.
Those “who have pushed the situation to its current degraded state” must take responsibility, the statement said.
Abassi said the door was open to renewed negotiations, but the prospect seemed unlikely given his accusations of government “doublespeak and manipulation.”
The opposition has accused Ennahda of being overly tolerant of a rising radical Islamist trend that has shown violent tendencies in its efforts to instill greater piety.
Before the 2011 fall of Tunisia’s longtime dictator Zine El Abidine Ben Ali, the country had been known as one of the most secular countries in the Arab world.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting