World’s oldest man dies
Guinness World Records said that former musician and coal miner Salustiano Sanchez-Blazquez, certified as the world’s oldest man, has died. He was 112. Guinness consultant Robert Young said Sanchez-Blazquez died on Friday at a nursing home in Grand Island, New York. Nicknamed “Shorty,” Sanchez-Blazquez became the world’s oldest man when Japan’s Jiroemon Kimura died in June at age 116. Sanchez-Blazquez was born June 8, 1901, in the village of El Tejado de Bejar, Spain. He moved to Cuba at 17, then to the US in 1920, where he worked the coal mines of Lynch, Kentucky, before eventually moving to New York. Sanchez-Blazquez had two children, seven grandchildren, 15 great-grandchildren and five great-great-grandchildren.
Judge frees businessman
Daily newspaper Le Nouvelliste has reported that a judge freed Evinx Daniel from jail in the south of the country. The newspaper said that Daniel was released after being held overnight because the government commissioner who ordered the arrest had been “hasty” in his actions, a senior government official said. Daniel owns Dan’s Creek, an oceanfront hotel in Port Salut. He was taken into custody on Thursday after eight foreigners were arrested in the area and charged with drug trafficking.
Six Flags coaster reopens
Six Flags has reopened the Texas Giant roller coaster for the first time since a rider fell 23m to her death. The ride at the north Texas amusement park opened on Saturday with new precautions that included redesigned restraint bars and new seat belts. Riders can also sit in a trial seat before entering the line. Six Flags cautioned parkgoers who waited hours to board that the Texas Giant might not accommodate “guests with unique body shapes or sizes.” The ride has been closed since Rosa Ayala-Goana died in July. Her family has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Six Flags. Still, thousands of riders line up for an hour or more to ride the twisting, wood-and-metal coaster, which features a 79o drop and banked turns.
Jersey towns to get fire aid
Two New Jersey beach towns will get US$15 million in state aid to repair damage from a boardwalk fire that devastated the resorts that had to rebuild after Hurricane Sandy, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie said on Saturday. The fast-moving blaze swept across the Seaside Park and Seaside Heights boardwalk on Thursday last week, engulfing scores of businesses and taking 400 firefighters hours to put it out. Sandy pummeled the communities in October last year and they had only recovered months before the fire. Christie said the state’s Economic Development Authority would hold a special meeting on Wednesday and extend US$15 million from Sandy relief programs to support businesses hurt by the fire. Christie said that more than 50 businesses were damaged by the fire. About four blocks of the rebuilt boardwalk were burned and torn up to make a fire break. About US$5 million will go for demolition and removal of debris and rebuilding it, the statement said. No cause for the blaze has been determined, but local media reported that electrical wiring under a frozen custard stand had caught fire, burned through the stand and spread to other food stands.
US kills jihadist leader
The country’s al-Qaeda branch has confirmed that a US strike killed one of its leaders at the end of last month. It said in a statement posted on a militant Web site on Saturday that Qaid al-