Bin Bin getting bionic eyes
A six-year-old Chinese boy whose eyes were gouged out by an attacker is receiving implants at a hospital in Shenzhen after a Hong Kong eye doctor volunteered his service. The implants are a precursor to fitting Guo Bin (郭斌), known as Bin Bin, with prosthetic eyes that will look and move more like normal eyes, but which do not restore vision. A personal assistant to Dr Dennis Lam (林順潮) said the surgery started yesterday afternoon at Lam’s private hospital. Police in the boy’s home province of Shanxi say they suspect his aunt gouged out his eyes, but have not identified a motive for last month’s attack. The woman has since committed suicide.
Drunk pig goes on rampage
A rampage by a feral pig that consumed 18 beers has prompted warnings for people at campsites to properly secure their food and alcohol. The pig struck at the DeGrey River rest area, east of the remote Western Australian town of Port Hedland in the Pilbara, according to the Australian Broadcasting Corp The animal was seen stealing three six-packs of beer from campers before ransacking rubbish bags for food. One camper reported seeing the pig guzzling the beer before getting involved in an altercation with a cow.” In the middle of the night these people camping opposite us heard a noise, so they got their torch out and shone it on the pig and there he was, scrunching away at their cans,” the visitor said. “Then he went and raided all the rubbish bags. There were some other people camped right on the river and they saw him being chased around their vehicle by a cow.” The pig was reportedly last seen resting under a tree, possibly nursing a hangover.
Bombs hit school, two dead
A twin bomb blast struck a school in the insurgency-plagued south yesterday, officials said, killing two soldiers and injuring one student in a new setback to peace efforts. Education workers and the troops who guard them are a top target for Muslim militants, who have waged a nine-year-old campaign of violence that has left thousands of people dead. Authorities said that militants behind the attack planted a first bomb to lure soldiers and then detonated a second device after they arrived at the scene. “Two soldiers died and a male student and one soldier were injured,” army spokesman Colonel Pramote Promin said by telephone, accusing the Barisan Revolusi Nasional (BRN) rebel group of orchestrating the attack. “It’s the work of the BRN, which is obsessed with violence,” he said.
Principal denies link to blast
The headmaster of a primary school that was hit by a blast on Monday that saw two people killed and 44 injured, denied that the incident was the result of a feud involving him, media said yesterday. Many children were among those hurt in the blast, which happened when a man rode a motorcycle past the school in Guilin as they arrived for classes. The cause of the explosion was not clear, but early reports suggested the motorcycle caught fire before a “loud bang” was heard. “Some media said the cause of the explosion could be somebody being involved with a feud with the school principal, who took his retaliation to extremes,” said the People’s Daily, the mouthpiece of the Chinese Communist Party. “Yesterday, the principal, Qin Zhuanhong, denied the claim, saying he had very few enemies and he does not know the blast site tricycle driver.” Guilin officials also said the reports were “simply rumors.”