British counter-terror police on Thursday launched a criminal investigation into documents seized from the Brazilian boyfriend of a journalist working to publish secrets from US intelligence leaker Edward Snowden.
The development came after Britain’s High Court ruled that material seized from David Miranda, the boyfriend and assistant of Guardian journalist Glenn Greenwald, can only be partially examined by police.
London’s Metropolitan Police said publication of the “highly sensitive” data seized from 28-year-old Miranda during his detention under anti-terror laws at London’s Heathrow Airport on Sunday could cause a risk to life.
“Initial examination of material seized has identified highly sensitive material, the disclosure of which could put lives at risk,” Scotland Yard said in a statement. “As a result the Counter Terrorism Command (SO15) has today begun a criminal investigation.”
Miranda’s nine-hour detention has outraged campaigners for press freedom who have called for an inquiry into why laws designed to stop terrorists were used to interrogate a journalist’s assistant.
Miranda, who had worked with his US boyfriend on the Snowden material, was stopped as he changed planes on his way home to Rio de Janeiro on Sunday. Officials confiscated his laptop, mobile phone, memory cards and other electronic equipment.
Snowden, a former US intelligence contractor, enraged Washington by leaking information on mass surveillance programs by the US National Security Agency as well as Britain’s electronic eavesdropping agency, GCHQ (Government Communications Headquarters).
The Guardian has published a series of reports based on files provided by Snowden, who has been granted temporary asylum in Russia as he bids to escape prosecution in the US.
Britain’s High Court ruled on Thursday that police and the Home Office could partially examine the files seized from Miranda for national security purposes, following a legal bid by the Brazilian to stop them.
The Metropolitan Police welcomed the decision, saying they had obtained “thousands of classified intelligence documents” from Miranda’s seized equipment, and that examining them would allow them to “protect life and national security.”
Miranda’s lawyer Gwendolen Morgan said the ruling was a partial victory as it prohibited British authorities from sharing the information with any foreign government “save for the purposes of protection of national security.”
The Home Office and Scotland Yard now have seven days to prove that the documents raised a genuine threat to Britain’s security, she told reporters outside court.
Separately, David Anderson, Britain’s independent reviewer of terror legislation, announced on Thursday that he was launching an investigation into whether the anti-terror laws used to detain Miranda were “lawfully, appropriately and humanely used.”
Guardian editor Alan Rusbridger said of Miranda’s detention: “It seems to me a clear misuse of a law.”
Speaking at the Edinburgh International Book Festival on Thursday, he said it was becoming “impossible” for journalists to have confidential sources.
“How do I know my conversations with sources are now safe? Well I don’t know. In fact, I know the opposite,” he told the audience.
On July 20 the left-leaning Guardian, under the supervision of GCHQ experts, destroyed the hard drives and memory chips on which its Snowden material had been saved.
The government has confirmed that Cabinet Secretary Jeremy Heywood — Britain’s top civil servant and British Prime Minister David Cameron’s most senior policy adviser — was sent to tell the Guardian — they had to either destroy or return the material, or face legal action.
Cameron has faced calls to address parliament on the matter, while the clampdown on the Guardian has drawn criticism from the EU and the German and Russian governments.
An Australian university student who has never visited China and has only a modest social media following would seem an unlikely target for the Chinese government. However, when a Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman personally denounced Drew Pavlou at a news conference, it was just the next phase in an extraordinary campaign against the 21-year-old that has fueled concerns over China’s targeting of critics overseas. Pavlou first placed himself in the superpower’s sights when in July last year he organized a small sit-in at the University of Queensland, where he studies, to protest against various Chinese government policies. Since then, the Global
BEFORE WINTER COMES: Snow cuts off roads into Ladakh for four months or more each year, so the crunch is on to get food, tents and high-altitude equipment to Leh From deploying mules to large transport aircraft, the Indian military has activated its entire logistics network to transport supplies to thousands of troops for a harsh winter along a bitterly disputed Himalayan border with China. In the past few months, one of India’s biggest military logistics exercises in years has brought vast quantities of ammunition, equipment, fuel, winter supplies and food into Ladakh, a region bordering Tibet that India administers as a union territory, officials said. The move was triggered by a border standoff with China in the snow deserts of Ladakh that began in May and escalated in June into hand-to-hand
Since her personal telephone number was posted online, Hong Kong democracy advocate and Hong Kong Confederation of Trade Unions chairperson Carol Ng has received menacing calls from strangers and been bombarded with messages calling her a “cockroach.” She is not alone. A sophisticated and shady Web site called HK Leaks has ramped up its “doxxing” — where people’s personal details are published online — of Hong Kong democracy advocates, targeting those it says have broken Hong Kong’s National Security Law. Promoted by groups linked to the Chinese Chinese Communist Party and hosted on Russia-based servers, HK Leaks has become the most prominent “doxxing”
A Malaysian student whose cellphone was stolen while he was sleeping has tracked down the culprit: a monkey who took photo and video selfies with the device before abandoning it. Zackrydz Rodzi, 20, on Wednesday said that his mobile phone was missing from his bedroom when he woke up on Saturday. He found the phone’s casing under his bed, but there was no sign of robbery in his house in Johor state. JUNGLE When his father saw a monkey the next day, he searched in the jungle behind his house. Using his brother’s cellphone to call his own device, he found it covered