An electoral court in Madagascar has removed the names of three high-profile presidential contenders, including strongman Andry Rajoelina, whose disputed candidacies had stalled polls aimed at ending a four-year political crisis.
The new electoral court set up a week ago met to “clean” up the list of 41 candidates approved by its predecessor in May.
The other two controversial candidates who have been dropped for the revised list published on the court’s Web site on Saturday were ousted Malagasy president Marc Ravalomanana’s wife, Lalao, and former Malagasy president Didier Ratsiraka.
Their candidacies, which did not meet electoral rules, have been internationally condemned and have delayed the much-awaited vote expected to lift the Indian Ocean island out of its political and economic mire.
The three had refused to stand aside even in the face of threats of sanctions.
The court’s move is sure to be welcomed by leaders of the 15-nation Southern African Development Community (SADC) meeting for their yearly summit in Malawi, where Madagascar is one of the top agenda items.
The coast is “now clear for the holding of credible elections whose result will be accepted by SADC,” a diplomat at the summit who asked not be named told reporters.
The African Union immediately welcomed the move in a statement, adding it should “mark the culmination of the process towards ending the crisis.”
French Ambassador to Madagascar Francois Goldblatt tweeted that he was glad to see “the conditions met for a normal and peaceful restarting of the electoral process.”
Madagascar, heavily reliant on international aid, has been mired in political limbo since Rajoelina, a former disc jockey and ex-mayor of the capital, Antananarivo, seized power in 2009.
He swore not to run for president this year, but threw his hat in the race when the wife of his exiled rival, Ravalomanana, declared she would be a candidate.
Both pose a legal problem, since Rajoelina submitted his candidacy after the deadline and Lalao Ravalomanana had not lived in Madagascar six months prior to the nominations, as the electoral rules require.
Ratsiraka filed his candidacy papers two days after he returned from 11 years of exile in France.
Elections were due to have taken place on July 24, but have been postponed indefinitely due to the deadlock.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of
The Philippine army chief yesterday expressed outrage over the fatal police shooting of four soldiers, including two officers, and demanded justice, as both sides provided contrasting accounts of the killings. Philippine Secretary of the Interior and Local Government Eduardo Ano, a retired military chief of staff who now oversees the national police, ordered that the police involved in Monday’s violence in Jolo in Sulu Province be disarmed and restricted for investigation. Police said the soldiers were killed in a “misencounter” with a group of police officers. The army said that the two officers and two enlisted men were on a mission against