A Chechen fatally shot while being questioned by the FBI about his ties to one of the accused Boston Marathon bombing suspects was “a good boy” whose killing was “unjustified,” the man’s father and his attorneys said on Tuesday.
Abdulbaki Todashev, whose 27-year-old son Ibragim was shot in Florida on May 22 while being interrogated by the FBI and Massachusetts State Police, spoke about his son through an interpreter at a press conference arranged by the two Florida law firms now representing his family.
“My son was a very good boy,” Todashev said.
“His life was cut short,” he added, saying his only hope was that “I will be able to achieve justice for my son.”
The elder Todashev recently arrived in the US from Russia to retain the lawyers now looking into possible civil action against the FBI. His son’s death stemmed from a probe into the Boston Marathon bombing on April 15, which killed three people and injured more than 260 in the worst mass-casualty attack carried out on US soil since Sept. 11, 2001.
Ibragim Todashev, who trained as a mixed martial arts fighter, was an acquaintance of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev and worked out at the same gym used by Tsarnaev in Boston before moving to Florida, attorney Eric Ludin said.
The FBI has said Todashev was being questioned at his apartment in Orlando when he suddenly attacked an agent and was shot and killed. Abdulbaki Todashev has openly questioned that account and said his son was unarmed when he was shot seven times.
He has also dismissed media reports following his son’s death suggesting his son may have grabbed a kitchen knife or tried to wrest a gun from an agent as “absurd,” saying there was no reason officers could not subdue a lone young man without killing him.
Ludin said it was inappropriate to publicly theorize about what led to the shooting, pending the results of a review by the US Department of Justice and Florida State Attorney Jeff Ashton.
However, he stressed that the case centered on official accountability.
“We think it was an unjustified killing,” Ludin said.
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of