Hong Kong battened down yesterday as Typhoon Utor forced the closure of the territory’s financial market and schools and disrupted hundreds of flights, after leaving six dead in the Philippines.
Gusts of more than 100kph were recorded, with rain lashing down, as the Hong Kong Observatory hoisted a “Number 8” storm warning in the early hours — the third-highest level.
Helicopter rescue teams saved 21 crewmembers from the 190m-long bulk carrier Trans Summer that sank 80km off the territory yesterday caused waves of up to 15m, officials said.
As the typhoon skirted the territory about 240km to the southwest, the observatory downgraded the warning in the afternoon to “Number 3,” indicating strong winds.
Damage was limited with no landslides reported, but the winds blew down a number of trees and signboards, and left bamboo scaffolding swaying.
The Airport Authority said about one-third of daily flights were disrupted, with 110 cancelled and another 241 delayed. Ferry services to outlying islands and China were halted in the morning, stranding passengers at various terminals.
A government spokesman said six people were treated in public hospitals for storm-related injuries and there were six cases of minor flooding.
Overnight the government opened 17 temporary shelters, with dozens of people seeking refuge.
The territory’s streets were noticeably quiet in the morning, with many workers staying home as businesses and schools were shuttered, but as the storm passed more people could be seen venturing out, umbrellas hoisted, as the territory returned to normal.
However, the Hong Kong stock exchange had already canceled yesterday’s afternoon session and schools remained shut for the afternoon.
Utor, which is packing winds of 155kph near its center, was heading toward the coast of Guangdong Province at 16kph. It was predicted to make landfall last night or this morning, Xinhua news agency said.
The storm earlier swept across the Philippines, flattening houses and causing flash floods and landslides. The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said the death toll had risen to six, with five people still missing as rescuers rushed to reach areas isolated by the storm.
Two people were confirmed dead in the central island of Cebu after they were washed away by a flash flood, while two fishermen drowned in the eastern town of Casiguran, the hardest hit by the storm, the council said.
In the northern Philippines one man was crushed by a landslide while another man drowned, the council said in a statement.
Five people, mostly fishermen, were listed as missing.
Almost 42,000 people were still homeless in the Philippines after Utor toppled light structures, ripped the roofs off homes and buildings, and inundated farms, the council said.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting